• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Starting enclosure size for a hatchling

glk832

5 Year Member
Hey guys been awhile since I posted, going to get another tegu soon hatching once the season starts, red I got when she was a yearling so I started with a larger enclosure question is is a 4x2x2 ok for a hatching

N8bub

I think so , my boy stayed in one for about 3 mos before going to his intermediate 6 x 3. Gotta get his big boy house built.

glk832

5 Year Member
Lol cool, I was thinking that would last 6 months guess that depends on the gu was your a hatching?

Skeep

5 Year Member
Thinking of my own girl's growth, a 4x2 should be fine for about 6months from hatching date. They grow really fast!

glk832

5 Year Member
Yeah I got my female red at about a year old and within two months she grow 6niches I started her out in a 6x3x3 never had a hatching, that's why I was asking

Gandalf

I'm not really a fan of using smaller enclosures for baby tegus... I'd recommend you go all out and build as big as possible what you want for him as an adult. The reason being that tegus are very active when they are young... thats when they really want to run around and explore, and you don't want them getting bored or feeling cramped in a starter cage. Also, if he turns out to be a massive eater, you might really be surprised as to how quickly he completely outgrows something smaller. You might find that in 5 months he is already over 3ft long.

Gandalf

I'm not really a fan of using smaller enclosures for baby tegus... I'd recommend you go all out and build as big as possible what you want for him as an adult. The reason being that tegus are very active when they are young... thats when they really want to run around and explore, and you don't want them getting bored or feeling cramped in a starter cage. Also, if he turns out to be a massive eater, you might really be surprised as to how quickly he completely outgrows something smaller. You might find that in 5 months he is already over 3ft long.

I just ran across this post in /r/reptiles which talks about spacial considerations for juveniles VS adults in general: http://www.reddit.com/r/reptiles/comments/2wqctu/a_nice_journal_article_about_captive_reptile/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me