• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Still in hibernation?... i'm getting worried..

Steven.

Hey guys. Havent posted anything in awhile cause prime is still in hibernation... But still being a forum stalker lol reading as much as i can. As you know, prime is my 2011 aa that i got in september. He's been in hibernation since november... Now he does wake up once in awhile, sticks his head in his water bowl for about 30 seconds and explores his enclosure for a little then goes back to sleep...But I'm worried because i live in florida and its hot here already.. I mean during the days his temps would be around 80-85 on the cool side, which is where he's sleeping and 95-100 on the hot side which is exposed to natural sunlight from my window.. I dont know why he isn't awake yet.. Its 6 months already with high temps.. Shouldnt he be out and about?...This is my first hibernation so i really dont know what to expect or what to do in this situation?... So i come to the experts.. Please advice me.... Thanks..

frost

1,000+ Post Club
try upping the temps a little bit and see what he does.

what are the temps like in the room?

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Id help, but I honetly dont know anything about hybernation. My own tegu still sleeps for days on end, and I dont know why.

got10

As long as he isn't collecting flies and starting to stink, I would say you have nothing to worry about.He'll get up when he gets up.

Dana C

I wouldn't worry about it. My 2011 Red is an import and she is just now waking up a little every day. My adult male, Gordo is up every other day and eats a ton. Naturually my Black Throat like yours, is always "wide awake Jake" LOL. Some Tegus are "down" for up to 7 months. I think a lot has to do with the latitude that you live at. I am in Southern Idaho, which is still fairly far North.

Matt0925

From what I have read, it seems like the later into the fall/winter they go down, the later into the spring the get back up. While its not true in every tegu I've heard about, it does seem to happen a good deal I have noticed.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know what you mean about the worrying part. The first winter my hatchling went down, she slept from Nov to April. Do you have her lights on?

Dana C

Eva and Gordo went down late. Gordo finally started his hibernation in mid December and Eva didn't really go all the way out until January. Both are just now up a bit everyday and eating well. I wouldn't describe them as 100% yet as they are burrowed more than they are out.

Steven.

I donnt have any lights on.. Just the natural sun light is all prime gets. I hope he comes up sometime this month...

Dana C

Steven. said:
I donnt have any lights on.. Just the natural sun light is all prime gets. I hope he comes up sometime this month...

Is he outside or indoors. If he is inside, he needs UVB bulbs. All UV light is dispersed when hitting glass. Your Tegu gets almost no UV waves indoors without bulbs. In other words without proper lighting he is at risk of MTB and won't know if it is spring or not.

I just read that he is indoors. You need to visit a Petsmart, Petco etc. tomorrow, buy the fixtures and lights and he will come around.
I have to say that after all the information on this site and others I am surprised you didn't get proper lighting when you set up his cage.

Steven.

Just an update, he woke up last week. Up and about, seems like he eat a gallon of food a day. he gotten a bit more fisty, but hopefully ill be able to tame him a little..

naturboy87

mayb try giving him sum moor interaction like just handle him moor and get him up and about mouveing eploring sumwer new ... Purl is like that she dusent reay even wont to get up unless im taking her sum wher with me or letting her out to free rome out side and she is verry good happy lizard wen she is out with me .... im no expert just on my experences ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980