• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Stirring the pot...free roam question

Jomatty

When I got my girl I planned on her being a free roaming tegu. Once I got her home and really started looking into it, that seemed like an unhealthy idea. I still think about it though and wonder how much a tegu can monitor what it needs? How much can it realize it needs a humid environment and retreated to a humid hide? They seem to understand heat well enough, although when out of her enclosure mine will spend long periods of time in very cool areas so I wonder how well they even know this. I would love to offer the enrichment of being out of the cage more, but it just seems like more than an hour or so daily truly will shorten their life span. I just am not seeing any tegus or at least very few over 5 years and basically none over 10 years that free roam the majority of the time. Does anyone have any examples of a tegu that free roamed for over 12 years or so healthily and info on the set up used? I guess I would love to think my gu would spend the time in a humid hide but kind of doubt that she would.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't know of any but I also don't know many tegu keepers outside of this forum.

But tegus, I do know something about. They're as curious as little kids and can get you and themselves into big trouble just being themselves. Give them a single tegu-proofed room. Safe from electric chords, etc. they'll quickly learn where things are that they need.

Jomatty

So you think that they will retreat to a humid hide to stay hydrated? It seems many others do not think this. I would love for it to be the case, as I would love for my girl to be able to spend more time out of her enclosure

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Give them a humid hide box. Regarding daily activity, that varies among individuals whether or not they have a big area. Moving her basking spot moe and more away from hide will help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980