• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Strange female behavior?

chengineer

My 3ish year old female B&W has been acting kind of strange the last few weeks. She has slowed way down on eating, maybe a few bites here and there a week, nothing like she used to. She didn't really hibernate, slowed down but didn't "go down", and was eating great up until a few weeks ago. She has gotten a tad bit more aggressive, and has started to push bedding up around her hide box like she is building a "nest".

I was just wondering if this is "breeding/nesting" behavior?
We did just stack a male's cage on top of her's. The male is a bit older. Could she be smelling the male and wanting to mate?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How long have you had the female? I don't really know about breeding but if you recently got her, do you know if she hatched over a summer or winter?

I just pulled up the first link but here
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7827#axzz1Mq0zjXBQ

The OP stated that the nesting was a breeding behavior. That their tegu gets a little testy if you get too close to her nesting area. Hopefully someone can give you more input.

TheTeguGurl

My female did this too, same behavior i just chopped it up that it was breeding season. she did it for a couple wks then stopped

chengineer

Rhetoricx
Thank you for the response and the link. To answer your questions I have had her for a little over 2.5 years and purchased her in August as a baby so I would assume she was hatched early summer. She is showing similar behavior to the one in the link you posted, the only diffence is my girl has had nearly no exposure to males, other than recently with stacking the cages. We have introduced the male to her, but she got agressive towards him. We only ever had them together once for a few seconds. Other than a few weeks ago the two cages where across the room from one another. Could placing the male on top of her cage triggered a response?

Sarefina,
Is this a yearly behavior? Should I "plan" on seeing this every year around this time?

entropy

You said Tuvok has been eating great up until a few weeks ago. That's not true at all. She hasn't willingly eaten food for MONTHS. She has been half-hibernating for about 4 or 5 months and ate little to nothing that whole time, which was expected. Since she's been up, for about a month and a half, I've force fed her twice. Other than that, she hasn't eaten. Her tail's fat reserves are gone... when you squeeze it, its really soft, not hard like it should be.

So, in light of this new information, is there something wrong with this Tegu?

(btw, I'm the girlfriend of the author of this thread ^_^)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980