• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Stuck tail shed, been soaking, 60-70% humidity, need advise

dorton

5 Year Member
On my large female, she has a section on her tail that has been with
her for a little while(stuck from shed before last), I have been letting her soak and keeping humidity 60-70%. I had read somewhere else some people had luck using some kind of cooking oil??? Any other concoctions that you all have had luck with, let me know. I'm sure she would appreciate it too.
Thanks
Justin

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have used olive oil on one occasion. Sorry I can't be of more help, I usually don't encounter shedding problems.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The tail is the last part on a tegu to shed, it is probably not going to cause any problems, it should come off in a few days with soaking.

dorton

5 Year Member
It hasn't cooperated thus far so I did some research and found
on some iguana forums that glycerin is a useful helper.

Glycerin is highly "hygroscopic" which means that it absorbs water from the air. Example: if you left a bottle of pure glycerin exposed to air in your kitchen, it would take moisture from the air and eventually, it would become 80 per glycerin and 20 percent water.

I tried an application tonight, and will post results in the next couple of days.

COWHER

5 Year Member
That's interesting I would love to find the results of that! Could be a usefull bit of knowladge :lol:

dorton

5 Year Member
I have only seen the tip of its tail sticking out of the cypress mulch
for the last couple of days. My little guy has not been out in almost a week now, and my big lady may have now settled down for a winter nap. If she isn't down, she has definately slowed down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029