• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Swollen bum!

Tiigu

my little one has a fairly swollen cloaca. It’s not prolapsed because i’ve looked at pics and it’s nothing like that. No organs are exposed. It’s just the ”lips” parts around the vent that are inflamed. I’ve tried to get a vet visit, but there isn’t anyone near buy with an available exotics opening for over a month. I’ve dabbed on neosporin and the swelling has gone down and instead of vibrant red it’s a mild pink, but it’s been 4 days of treatment and I’m trying to think what else I can do to help her.

I’m sure she’s not the first reptile to have this condition, so I’m just wondering what I can do since vets don’t seem to care about reptiles in my area, just “pocket pets”.

Attachments

• 538C3822-707B-4F87-B96D-39040031B4D5.jpeg
    538C3822-707B-4F87-B96D-39040031B4D5.jpeg
    958.6 KB · Views: 16

brunera

Is she otherwise passing stool and urates normally? Are the stools soft enough for her to pass fairly easily. You can start seeing early signs of prolapse before you actually get full eversion of the tissue. Not sure that is what this is but try to see what it looks like when she is passing the stool. Have you tried soaking her regularly in warm water baths? If the stools are looking too large or firm, or she seems to be straining, look up what foods might help loosen it up. I'm just a people doctor, not a vet, so I'm not sure what foods that would be off the top of my head for a tegu.

merakjinsei

Im also having this issue with my hatchling :( they seem to be passing regularly, but im concerned; should i try baths and neosporin to help symotoms? What are likely causes? Thank you so much!
20211030_155910.jpg

Tiigu

Im also having this issue with my hatchling :( they seem to be passing regularly, but im concerned; should i try baths and neosporin to help symotoms? What are likely causes? Thank you so much!
View attachment 15987
Well, after a week of warm baths and neosporin, her swelling is gone and coloring is normal. That being said, I’m still keeping her vet appointment to rule out any internal issue that may have caused it originally.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980