• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tameness issues

jarett_Harrison

5 Year Member
Hey all.
I am having some problems taming my tegu. He is a year old now. He has started to get VERY cage aggressive. I use a feeding bin everytime except once when i was afraid he was going to hurt him self because of how bad he was lashing out. He is sweet once he is out, but in the cage when i open it he will jump and try to get me! Iv started having to use a towel when he is acting up really bad. He really hates the towel. He attacks it on site. Once he is out he huffs and puffs for a few minute but then calms down and wants to walk everywhere. Can you guys help me? Thanks in advance.

-Jarett Harrison

lilgonz

I never tried the towel, but I used a glove for one of mine that was really aggressive, he did bite the glove a few times when I first started using it, but then he calmed down. and once I got him out of the enclosure I would remove the glove and he would be just fine. If this does not work, I would try turning the lights of his enclosure off to cool him down some and that might also help.

J.LRegius

5 Year Member
Perseverance is the key. Mine got really cage aggressive, I just scoop him up with both hands underneath the belly and put him on the floor. Grip him firmly but not too tightly so that he can't hurt you or himself. Don't use the towel if he hates it, it will only worsen the situation.

Nessie

I hear a lot of people talk about aggression with a year old Tegu. I have heard it refered to as "teenage years". Be patient, I would get a pair of gloves until you know what his intentions are when he jumps at you. Often their bark it worse then their bite (that is if they don't bite of course!). Remember they are pretty smart and if he knows he is getting to you he will keep doing it. Mine went through a period of charging ( he is still young but fiesty) and I alwasy pulled back. Got a pair of gloves and tried and he ran at them once and never agin. I only used them once!

TheTeguGurl

Hello. i just got a male tegu he is a yr old with alot of cage aggression too.. He huffs and puffs at me too.. what i do is i just put my hand on his back and hold it there till he stops then i rub him, if he starts to huff at me i stop and hold me hand on him again, i do this a few times, then i pick him up and gently place him in my sweater so that way he thinks he hiding and calms down . i have him in my sweater now typing this.. he is alseep.! this is a taming method i was told about. i never use a towel either it makes them more angry i have found. i put my hand in his cage alot during the day. and my tegus love face time. i hold them up to my face and talk to them very nicely and sometimes they give me kisses too...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu