• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tameness

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ours aren't mean. We don't know much about their history. The female isn't aggressive or friendly, most of the time she just wants to be left alone. The male is more friendly but can turn & gape when startled. He's my favorite of all of Tegu's. Again, I don't know what has shaped their personalities in the 3 years before we got them.

I've heard they don't get to be as tame as a B&W but they I'd guess they're more tamable than a Colombian. Your mileage may vary. If a Tegu is stressed or hungry it will react differently than if it is content.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
My Blue is the tamest of all my tegus, but then again, my red is needing some work. It all depends on the animal itself, honestly

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Azaleah said:
My Blue is the tamest of all my tegus, but then again, my red is needing some work. It all depends on the animal itself, honestly
It also depends on the person handling them. They can sense fear. They learn to not trust people that have hurt them.

Our B&W bit my finger Sunday while I was handling her. It was the tip of my index finger, since the skin is thick there it didn't hurt and didn't leave a mark. I didn't even acknowledge she bit me and she ended up being much calmer in a few minutes.

Azaleah

5 Year Member
Yea my red wont bite, he just runs a lot, and he opens his mouth at me. But hes dwarfed (still don't know why) and is still only like 13" long (and over a year old) so it doesnt hurt... at all.

angelrose

5 Year Member
ok ............... I admit it. I did get bit ...........

by two of my ARGS. the last b/w arg I got which is 4 feet got me on my little toe cause it was moving ? (I don't feed live). and my other female b/w arg. 2 1/2 feet on the index finger; I guess because my finger was still in her bowl when I brought her out to eat.

the best part/ feeling is having to stay perfectly still until they both let go so they would not start ripping and realize I was not food.

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
my blue was more skittish than anything only time you better watch out was when she was hungry she would take out your toes ...or in my case try for the dog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980