• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu and guests

Keith_w

5 Year Member
My tegu is still a baby so I havent had a chance to figure this out for my self yet. I enjoy having friends over at my apartment and bring my pets out for people to enjoy. If I get my tegu to be tame around me, is there a chance it will not be intimidated by other people that it hasnt met before. I ask this question just because my parrots are fine with me but will not tolerate anyone they don't know.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Reptiles are like most other animals and can sense emotions of other animals (scents?). When my ball python was very young he seemed to like being on me or my wife but when I tried to put him on any of our kids he'd freak out and "run" back onto me. Our big Red Tegu has shown aggressive behavior towards some people but isn't bothered by most.

The more positive exposure to the "outside" world he has the better he will react to new situations. It comes with age. Our adult Tegu's wander around our yard without a problem, even the day we got them (as adults). Our 16 month old Tegu still gets excited outside and panics sometimes but her odd waking hours keeps us from interacting with her much.

Get him used to wearing a lizard leash and taking him outside, holding him. When he doesn't panic when taken outside try putting him on the ground, holding the leash. It takes time but he'll get used to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029