• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu and small children......

nhollums

5 Year Member
Have a 15 month old daughter and thinking of getting a 3 month baby tegu. The tegu is currently at a local reptile dealer and seems quite tame. He does have a 2 year old Tegu who roams the shop and he is also quite docile and daughter is not afraid of him at all. Looking for imput from experienced tegu owners.

Quijibo

5 Year Member
My jango is now 4 months old and is 3 ft long. He has been extremely docile from the day I got him at 1 month old and about 1 ft. he has never bitten or tail whipped. I have no worries about him around my children. That being said, their temperment can vary from one 'gu to the next, some (like Jango) are big softies, and some can be a little nasty. In general Arg's are sweeties. If you have one that's a little skittish, I'd be inclined to pass and find one that's calmer.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I recommend to spend some time with the Tegu alone ( when/if you get him } before you bring him around the child.This way you will see how his personality is most off the time.When you do bring it around your child please make sure her hands are clean so the Tegu doesn't smell any food on her and wants to bite her.I would let her touch the Tegu a little while after he ate.This is when they are more calm.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My tegu is fine around childern as long as the kids obey the reptile rules. I get asked by some of my old teacher to bring in my tegu and teach the kids differnet lessons about animals. The youngest I've visted was a Kindigarden class (4-5yr). They really likes touching him and when he was free roaming in the pet area kids went up and pet home and held him. I have afew rules though. The kids have to wash their hands before and after, the after part is easy reptiles are "dirty" the before is to make sure little fingers dont smell like a tasty food. the second rule no playing with his mouth or head. I had a littly girl how kept trying to put her finger in his mouth, so what did he do, bit down on her finger. Now he barly even got her, i've seen him tear rats in half with a good chomp but he didnt even draw blood it was bruised but not bloody.

So as long as you take time to tame your tegu and you explain things to your child about respecting reptiles i see no problem. I like to see kids get use to reptiles early it makes them more open to other animals.

Oh ya don't let your child and tegu really met until you can figure out your tegus "moods". Some day a tegu might not want anything to do with you, other days they are hungery (well ok they are always hungery but somedays more than others).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029