• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu cage help

taterbug

5 Year Member
I am new to the Tegu world I am going to build a 4x4x6 in my garage and it gets pretty cold in the winter what do I need to do to insure my tegu dont get cold.Heat rocks,lamps or what :?:

cornking4

5 Year Member
Use a higher wattage mercury vapor bulb and put human heating pads below the cage. You'll need 105 degree basking spot and 90 degree ambient temperature during the day and nighttime drops of around 80 degrees. To acheive these temperatures, only use mercury vapor bulbs during the day, infrared bulbs during the night, and human heating pads, NEVER heat rocks or reptile heating pads, as those will burn tegus.

Wil

5 Year Member
What kind of tegu do you have? If it is a B&W or a Red or a cross of the two, then I would say maintain the enclosure between the high 50's and low 60's and let it go down for the winter.
Trying to heat an enclosure in an unheated garage to the temps listed above can be a costly venture.

cornking4

5 Year Member
Oh yeah, forgot about hibernation :-D

The temps I listed were for the non-hibernation period (spring through fall)

taterbug

5 Year Member
I have a B&W not to tame likes to try to run off every now and then HA HA,and eats like a freaking hog any and everything..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980