• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu escaped!

Jesse German

Hello there. I have an Argentine B&W tegu, Lizzy, as a classroom pet. She is about 2 feet long and the size of a baseball bat in diameter. Our first teacher workday was Monday and overnight Liz broke through the screen top of her cage. My classroom door (inside) was open. There is no way that she could have gotten outside, but she could be anywhere in the school. I have torn my classroom apart looking for her- air vent, closets, cabinets, under all furniture. I have also set out a basking lamp near where she escaped and have been leaving food nearby to try to entice her to come out. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions on how to lure her out from wherever she is hiding. She is my baby and it breaks my heart to think about her not coming back.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Jesse,

My heart breaks for you. Needle in a haystack to a certain degree.

First look in dark potential reatreats.Pay special attention for activity between 9-noon.

Beyond that, maybe set a hava heart trap with wet cat food in suspected rooms.

I hope you find her

Jesse German

Jesse,

My heart breaks for you. Needle in a haystack to a certain degree.

First look in dark potential reatreats.Pay special attention for activity between 9-noon.

Beyond that, maybe set a hava heart trap with wet cat food in suspected rooms.

I hope you find her
Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. I hope that I find her too!!!!

Jesse German

Crying happy tears.... she just wandered into the workroom

Attachments

• B0CDD3A8-2897-4993-B1E3-F7590F8F9D24.jpeg
    B0CDD3A8-2897-4993-B1E3-F7590F8F9D24.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 105

rosieuk

I haven't managed to lose a Tegu yet but I came close. Had him out on the lead and put it down to tie shoes - cue a black and yellow streak. Only caught him because I let him stop under a car and could hook him out. They're faster than a human no problem. Glad he wandered back in, they do love to explore and they're surprisingly strong (lifting half a double bed with his head was a favourite Priscus trick).
I lost my Corn Bubbles for almost three weeks - completely disappeared. Had the flat to bits. No snake. Happened to turn the stereo on and glanced over to see a somewhat irate grey head poking out of the speaker port annoyed because I woke him up.
Babies sometimes escape and for some reason *always* turn up in the bath?
Tip: if you take him out on a lead make sure there haven't been foxes about - just the smell of them drives Tegu berserk - mine went nuts, attacking anything and everything including a swipe at my leg that sliced my jeans like I'd taken a razor to them.

onnie0047

Its great news to hear you found her. My female, jumped out of the tub during a bath in February 2017 and escaped, I had received a phone call and took my eyes off her for only a minute or two. I tore the house up looking for her, I swear I did not leave any item in this house unturned, could not find her. There was ZERO indications she was still in the house, I really though she got out of the house somehow. We live in the country and every time it gets cold field mice come in to get warm. This year no Mice! I though maybe she had gotten under the house through the same opening the mice seem to know about. I looked but no clue. I finally gave up. feeding dejected, I bought 2 more Tegus; one from Rodney (Oscar) and one Red (Felix). Fast forward 8 months later and I was giving Oscar and Felix a bath one day. I had just replaced the two back inside their tank after their soak, walked into the kitchen to get them their food and was heading back passing the bathroom. I noticed I had left the light on and I turned to the right to hit the switch when something caught my eye darting across the bathroom floor. OMG I yelled "Oscar" how in the world did you get out!!! As I reached down to pick up Oscar I realized it was not Oscar. Oscar had broke his tail off the month I had received him and it grew back very nicely, but mostly black. This MONSTER had a normal tail. It was then I realized Magawi had come back to the scene of the crime! 8 months later! Apparently she found some place to hold up during the winter that was probably warm. Moral of the story! Never give up hope!

bocacash

5 Year Member
Glad she came back and you were there to greet her ! Had a B/W about 5 years ago...lived on the 6th floor of a Condo with screened in lanai (porch) that had plexiglass sliding, floor to ceiling windows. Used to let Ricardo Lizardo out on the porch for supervised periods of time...good exercise and nothing better than real sunlight ! Anyway, one day he was out, I was on the computer...checkin' on him every so often...he was baskin' in the sun. I got busy then got ready to leave...looked out...no tegu ! Quick thorough search confirmed he was gone...but how...where ? Then I saw that one plexi slider was slightly open...looked closely and found a slit in the screen about 4 inches long ! Best I can figure...he got behind the slider...tried to turn around and sliced the screen like a razor...and fell out...6 stories...about 60 feet ! Ran downstairs...no dead tegu...no crippled tegu...nothing, just thick, soft lawn grass ! Searched for over an hour...nothing. I live in S. FL...along a lagoon with lots of water, trees, bushes, underbrush...and warm, humid weather. I never did get Ricardo Lizardo back...but I, and others, have seen him from time-to-time...he looks healthy and happy...but I miss him. I now have a B/W rescue...about 3.5ft long...her name is Jezebel !

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad she came back and you were there to greet her ! Had a B/W about 5 years ago...lived on the 6th floor of a Condo with screened in lanai (porch) that had plexiglass sliding, floor to ceiling windows. Used to let Ricardo Lizardo out on the porch for supervised periods of time...good exercise and nothing better than real sunlight ! Anyway, one day he was out, I was on the computer...checkin' on him every so often...he was baskin' in the sun. I got busy then got ready to leave...looked out...no tegu ! Quick thorough search confirmed he was gone...but how...where ? Then I saw that one plexi slider was slightly open...looked closely and found a slit in the screen about 4 inches long ! Best I can figure...he got behind the slider...tried to turn around and sliced the screen like a razor...and fell out...6 stories...about 60 feet ! Ran downstairs...no dead tegu...no crippled tegu...nothing, just thick, soft lawn grass ! Searched for over an hour...nothing. I live in S. FL...along a lagoon with lots of water, trees, bushes, underbrush...and warm, humid weather. I never did get Ricardo Lizardo back...but I, and others, have seen him from time-to-time...he looks healthy and happy...but I miss him. I now have a B/W rescue...about 3.5ft long...her name is Jezebel !
From Rodney?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980