• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu growth with a missing tail

alexAndmax

Hey guys, I have a black and white Argentine tegu and I have had time for about 6-8 months, I got him from a owner that couldn’t take care of him. maybe a month or two ago I accidently closed the cage door on his tail, it almost got cut off but only had some skin hanging on. It broke at a brake plate so that was good but I am getting worried because it seems he has not been growing as much. I believe its because he’s focusing on growing his tail back but I am still a little bit worried. the previous owner didn’t remember how old he was when I got him but if I am correct he should be 10-12 months old and he is only 23 inches long. It has grown quite a lot and is about 4 or 5 inches long

Attachments

• 9E194431-56AC-4DF2-8E18-73AA08ADDCCA.jpeg
    9E194431-56AC-4DF2-8E18-73AA08ADDCCA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
  • 46E50E06-19F8-48FC-B8D2-E0CB33BC2C2E.jpeg
    46E50E06-19F8-48FC-B8D2-E0CB33BC2C2E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 23

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
After viewing your photo's I think the biggest prevention for growth for your tegu is your enclosure. At 6-8 months my Tegu's were already in their adult enclosure 6.5x3x3. Granted it isn't the recommended size however I supplement that with regular free roaming in my side enclosed patio. In addition you may also want to upgrade your heat lamp to UVA UVB 160W and change your substrate to a top soil.

I know this is a lot however it all contributes to your tegu's growth and health. As far as enclosure you could try customizing a grow tent. Also amazon has some pretty reasonable lights. As for substrate you can check your local hardware and gardening store. You want to make sure you get 100% top soil with no added fertilizers not even bat poop lol! Hope this helps!

alexAndmax

After viewing your photo's I think the biggest prevention for growth for your tegu is your enclosure. At 6-8 months my Tegu's were already in their adult enclosure 6.5x3x3. Granted it isn't the recommended size however I supplement that with regular free roaming in my side enclosed patio. In addition you may also want to upgrade your heat lamp to UVA UVB 160W and change your substrate to a top soil.

I know this is a lot however it all contributes to your tegu's growth and health. As far as enclosure you could try customizing a grow tent. Also amazon has some pretty reasonable lights. As for substrate you can check your local hardware and gardening store. You want to make sure you get 100% top soil with no added fertilizers not even bat poop lol! Hope this helps!
Thanks I will look into that, for his enclosure me and my dad are working on his final one to give him

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980