• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu not eating

A_Tegu_Named_Kabu

I just got my tegu 4 days ago at an expo.. he is approximately 1 years old.. i feed him a few crickets.. and couple of bites of groung beef.. but he is not really eating alot.. can it be that he was just full when i bought him.. also how often should I feed him (he is about a foot long)

Attachments

• Kabu 2.jpg
    Kabu 2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1

Alldaytegus

A_Tegu_Named_Kabu said:
I just got my tegu 4 days ago at an expo.. he is approximately 1 years old.. i feed him a few crickets.. and couple of bites of groung beef.. but he is not really eating alot.. can it be that he was just full when i bought him.. also how often should I feed him (he is about a foot long)

he should be fed everyday until he is an adult then you can choose to feed him everyday or as i do feed them every other day....your tegu might not eat until it is comfortable i would give it about a week to get settled

tegutime94

correct me if im wrong, but i was told sometimes the cheap tegus that are sold at expos can be wild and they are cheap because dealers want to get rid of? Maybe your tegu is wild ? And not used to captivity? I could be wrong but it was just a guess

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Just give him a little time. When you move them to a new place tegus are nervous and they wont eat for a little while. Once he gets used to his new home he will start gobbling down food.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ditch the beef - try some lean turkey, chicken or soft-boiled/scrambled eggs. There's a rather large list of food items you can try to GU on to see what his cup of tea is: http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=6452#axzz1xprsfIo8

Dana C

tegutime94 said:
correct me if im wrong, but i was told sometimes the cheap tegus that are sold at expos can be wild and they are cheap because dealers want to get rid of? Maybe your tegu is wild ? And not used to captivity? I could be wrong but it was just a guess

Argentine Tegus are either captive / farm bred. Columbians can be wild caught imports.
As far as the "ditching" the ground beef comment goes, very lean ground beef has a lower fat content than store bought ground turkey. Also if you read the turkey label, you will see that most brands have beef fat added to bring it up to 80/15. The beef fat is used to bind the turkey together.

HPIZZLE

Dana C said:
tegutime94 said:

Argentine Tegus are either captive / farm bred. Columbians can be wild caught imports.
As far as the "ditching" the ground beef comment goes, very lean ground beef has a lower fat content than store bought ground turkey. Also if you read the turkey label, you will see that most brands have beef fat added to bring it up to 80/15. The beef fat is used to bind the turkey together.

Very true. Keep your eyes open and read all the labels before you feed.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It wasn't a fat content thing so much as a trying to more closely mimic their natural diet. I could picture a GU getting ahold of a bird much more often than a bovine. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu