• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu not eating

duckyandsquishy

Peritas is about 3 months old and was eating fine, everytime I put crix or anything in it would be yone, but recently he has only eaten a few crickets a locust a pinkt. He won't touch he turkey or egg which is not like him. I changed his substrate about a week ago due to pin head crickets being everywhere.

Can anyone help?

TheTeguGurl

Yes what kind of subsrate are you using, Temps, humidity.. If everything is correct try some diff thing to feed him like some chicken hearts, gizzards, liver.. try to do different fruits to make is taste different. My Tegus hate eating the same things over and over again

duckyandsquishy

Re: RE: Tegu not eating

Murkve said:
What substrate is he on? Was the locust wild?

sarefina said:
Yes what kind of subsrate are you using, Temps, humidity.. If everything is correct try some diff thing to feed him like some chicken hearts, gizzards, liver.. try to do different fruits to make is taste different. My Tegus hate eating the same things over and over again

He is on orchad bark fine grade

Basking spot is currently at 116.7
Air temp is 79.6
Cold side is 75.9
Humidity is 78%

Locust is online brought so not wild,
I've tried cut up chick, black crickets, Brown crickets, locust, pinkies, rat pups, roaches, GALS, egg (chicken and quail), turkey, chicken. As for fruits I've brought nearly every different ones possible.

Because I'm in the UK the weather has changed dramactically over the last few weeks a few people have said it could be the change in the air pressure and the change of substrate (New smells etc)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's that time of year so to some degree less of an appetite should be expected as they slow down and possibly hibernate. It's a wait and see what happens kind of situation and adjust accordingly. He might stay up but sleep more and eat less often instead of hibernate and be gone for months at a time. Also depending on their last meal they don't or even need to eat every day, so they'll go longer between meals.

They are more in tune with weather changes and their surroundings than when are. Keep an eye on him to see if his activities pick up or slow down even more. Continue to offer food everyday if you want to but he'll let you know when he's hungry.

duckyandsquishy

He isn't lethargic or anything still running around like a mad man but just not eating I will keep an eye on him tho, he isn't losing weight still got a nice sized tummy and a thick tail base

Murkve

duckyandsquishy said:
He isn't lethargic or anything still running around like a mad man but just not eating I will keep an eye on him tho, he isn't losing weight still got a nice sized tummy and a thick tail base

Has he been pooping?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029