• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu not eating

boygenius

5 Year Member
Hello,

My tegu isn't eating. I've had him for about a week now, well he's eaten two days ago but that was just two bites of ground turkey. I've put food out for him yesterday as well as today but he didn't even touch it.

I was wondering if this is how they're suppose to be during the winter time or if something is wrong with him.

Also he doesn't hibernate, he's a blue tegu and he sleeps a lot. He'll come out around noon and bask all day then go back to sleep at around 1030pm every night.

He also has two bowel movements a day if that helps. He's about 4-5 months, 15 inches long.

Aranha

5 Year Member
boygenius said:
Hello,

My tegu isn't eating. I've had him for about a week now, well he's eaten two days ago but that was just two bites of ground turkey. I've put food out for him yesterday as well as today but he didn't even touch it.

I was wondering if this is how they're suppose to be during the winter time or if something is wrong with him.

Also he doesn't hibernate, he's a blue tegu and he sleeps a lot. He'll come out around noon and bask all day then go back to sleep at around 1030pm every night.

He also has two bowel movements a day if that helps. He's about 4-5 months, 15 inches long.

Hehe seems like you got a lazy bugger just like myself ^^. Kompis sleeps ALOT. About the feeding part hes new in the enclosure and needs time to adapt. Its very very common that they dont eat or even come out the first week. What you need to do is leave him be for like 1-2 weeks and just give him alittle food everyday. Remember that the more u feed him the bigger are the chances that he'll sleep away a day or 2. I suggest getting some zoophas worms in a worm bowl and just wait until he starts eating properly. Dont interact with him aswell. Just work around alittle in the enclosure so he can get used to you. After awhile he will interact with you when he knows your not a threat. Took me like 3 months before i could even take him outside the enclosure but hes as tame as can be now ^^. Loves running around on the couch and i can easily just lift him up under the belly and move him to where ever i want since im not a threat. About the hibernation its kinda normal for some to not hibernate. Mine slept for like 2 days in a row from time to time but never went into hibernation. Dont worry about him hibernating or not. It wont hurt him and they seem to be lazy this time of year.

Try this and the tegutalk family loves to help :)

Good luck!

shabazz

5 Year Member
the same thing is going on with my sav, think its the time of year. but your in the right place

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me