• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu possibly hibernating under water bowl

Russ Welch

My Tegu has been coming out less and less on his own lately. The only problem is I have to disturb him quite frequently. His favorite place is under his big stone waterbowl. Ive moved the bowl location 3 times just to make sure. And wherever that bowl is, he will dig under it and make a burrow. Which is fine til I have to clean/refill the water bowl. Then he gets disturbed everytime. Because as soon as the bowl is gone so is the entire top of his burrow so I just see him dug down under it wrapped in a circle.

At first he'd his and be jumpy. Now he lays there just breathing heavy. A few mintutes after I remove the bowl he comes out and lays in his basking spot. So I dont know if he is hibernating or trying and im disturbing him or what.

I aldo offered a mouse to him last week, which normally he loves but he just licked it and sniffed around it a bit and didn't touch it. So I thought he could be hibernating or getting ready too. But I dont know if im messing it up too much by changing his water bowl or what?
Also I just had to change it and hes looking pretty skinny compared to normal. And im torn between offering him more food. Because I dont know if he'd eat it then try to hibernate which could be deadly.
any advice for this situation is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

marydd

My tegu is eating less right now. I would still offer food if he is still coming out. If you are worried about disturbing him leave that water bowl empty in the enclosure and put a seperate water dish for him to drink from. I think if it bothered him enough he would stop digging under it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980