• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu questions

sharieffa wiggins

Hey guys I'm new to the world of tegus. Would a from what I can understand a 40 gallon breeder tank that's 36 x 18 x 18 fit to house a subadult tegu? Would ground walnut bedding be a good substrate?

VenusAndSaturn

Im new to tegus as well, but from my knowledge of substrates ground walnut bedding would possibly cut up the eyes, and stomach of the lizard. Or at least in the case of beardies that is what would happen.... I also doubt it would be very good for holding humidity so I'd say go with eco earth or organic soil. Personally I use a eco earth, organic soil and cypress mulch mixture and it works pretty well for humidity and digging.

Also on the enclosure size it probably depends on how big the tegu is... but i doubt a sub adult would even fit inside a 40 gallon comfortably. My 4 month old tegu is almost the same length as a 36x18x18 enclosure. Just a few inches off.
At 9-10 inches at a month old she gained around 10 inches in a single month, shes slowed down a lot for winter so she hasn't been doing much growing currently.
All tegus are different with growth rates though.

I went to an expo a few months ago and they had yearling Argentine black and whites there and they were massive.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Im new to tegus as well, but from my knowledge of substrates ground walnut bedding would possibly cut up the eyes, and stomach of the lizard. Or at least in the case of beardies that is what would happen.... I also doubt it would be very good for holding humidity so I'd say go with eco earth or organic soil. Personally I use a eco earth, organic soil and cypress mulch mixture and it works pretty well for humidity and digging.

Also on the enclosure size it probably depends on how big the tegu is... but i doubt a sub adult would even fit inside a 40 gallon comfortably. My 4 month old tegu is almost the same length as a 36x18x18 enclosure. Just a few inches off.
At 9-10 inches at a month old she gained around 10 inches in a single month, shes slowed down a lot for winter so she hasn't been doing much growing currently.
All tegus are different with growth rates though.

I went to an expo a few months ago and they had yearling Argentine black and whites there and they were massive.
I agree.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980