• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Taming

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
But how does the meditation prove anything when the bathtub is commonly used in taming, and your tegu could become tame by simply spending the time in the tub with you.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd have still given the gu 1-2 weeks to acclimate and get accustomed to his/her surroundings. Anyways, good luck with it.

ReptileGuy

Like I said it's a project James. TeguBuzz I thought the same but the breeder insisted I should start taming as soon as possible

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Whatever, it's your tegu but I think you really need to be CAREFUL and understand that a small animal that can run fast is not going to be easy to catch if it pops out of the bathtub, as it will have the advantage maneuvering in the relatively small bathroom. There are other things that could happen while attempting to recapture it such as broken tails, getting stepped on, and many other unfortunate accidents. Your tegu escaped last time because you weren't paying attention while handling it, and now you're meditating while handling this one? It's your choice but I really wish you would at least consider the possibility that you could be wrong about your current approach to handling.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
So the breeder goes against the rule of letting a new animal acclimate? this "rule" isnt used by almost every animal keeper for no reason....

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
:/ I was handling niles every day since day one.I held him in a pouch that I made so he could feel safe and 'hide ' if he wanted.he'd pop in and out.then I switched to a facecloth each time I take him out.I do this for security and familiarity I guess.I can wrap him in it or have him on top of it.it also helps me because of his claws.other times we snuggle in my bed.he sleeps on my chest or wanders...what he wants he gets.then I return him to his house.unless feeding then I feed him in his feed tub.he never jumps or runs but maybe I just got lucky with a snuggly non-skittish tegu?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

DavidRosi

1-2 weeks...

I didn't have mine from a hatchling, but a juvi; and I skittish one at that ! I still, even at that age, allowed him time to himself with my only "interference" being daily chores such as changing the water, spot cleaning and feeding.

After 2-3 weeks I'd then tempt him out of his viv into a 100% secure enclosure (can provide pictures if need be) where he'd eat with me near and I worked from there. I think the point that worries people is the fact that, you have already lost one tegu... Which, dare I ask, did you ever recover?

ReptileGuy

BatGirl1 said:
:/ I was handling niles every day since day one.I held him in a pouch that I made so he could feel safe and 'hide ' if he wanted.he'd pop in and out.then I switched to a facecloth each time I take him out.I do this for security and familiarity I guess.I can wrap him in it or have him on top of it.it also helps me because of his claws.other times we snuggle in my bed.he sleeps on my chest or wanders...what he wants he gets.then I return him to his house.unless feeding then I feed him in his feed tub.he never jumps or runs but maybe I just got lucky with a snuggly non-skittish tegu?

Exactly. If the animal isn't stressing, it should be fine. I even waited a few days. Sometimes he even scratches on the glass for attention <3 he is a lovebug :p

DavidRosi said:
1-2 weeks...

I didn't have mine from a hatchling, but a juvi; and I skittish one at that ! I still, even at that age, allowed him time to himself with my only "interference" being daily chores such as changing the water, spot cleaning and feeding.

After 2-3 weeks I'd then tempt him out of his viv into a 100% secure enclosure (can provide pictures if need be) where he'd eat with me near and I worked from there. I think the point that worries people is the fact that, you have already lost one tegu... Which, dare I ask, did you ever recover?

Yes he eventually came out but got into something there and I rushed him to the vet and he passed away on the way there. Please don't bring Steve into this RIP. I'm being extra precarious this time. Why do you keep on wanting to start ****??

DavidRosi

I apologise if you think that's my intention.
I was only trying to aid in awareness of possible problems that may arise.
I'll leave this topic to its own if you feel that was my intention.

All the best.

ReptileGuy

DavidRosi said:
I apologise if you think that's my intention.
I was only trying to aid in awareness of possible problems that may arise.
I'll leave this topic to its own if you feel that was my intention.

All the best.

No reason to leave if you don't want to. But most of you just seem to be pulling **** outta your ass.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I think if niles had been jumpy and freaking out I would have handled him differently.like the bathtub method or just hand over hand walking inside a safe tub/tote so he wouldn't get hurt from like jumping or whatever.I kind of think it goes tegu by tegu...each one has different personalities,etc.but yes always be cautious and don't force anything they don't want.I never grab.always let him walk onto my hand.and when he seems ancy...not so interested in me and wanting to hide under blankets or other things...I put him back in his house.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Being that you made a huge mistake with your first tegu, you think you would take advise from others this time around. But do what you wish. I find it amusing that you would listen to a breeder nobody here has heard of, but don't want to take the advice of the experienced keepers here.

ReptileGuy

I listen to the people who would actually help me in the first place. Like Sarah, who is sarafina here on the forums. She has Midgard the extreme, Murphy the extreme, Mylnor the argy b&w, and Frejya the red.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Both of you. We don't delete threads. Words are like toothpaste...come out easy, hard to get back in. Count to 10 before you type, everyone.

ReptileGuy

I don't regret anything I said. He is very frustrating >_< Very judgmental...

I'm gonna be leaving this forum for a while...See ya later guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980