• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu UVB help - UK

Daniel Daley

I will submit then shortly :)

At the moment it goes like 6x3x3 (TEMP enclosure) it has been divided to 4ft because of the size of the Tegu and I want the taming process to go as smoothly as possible, I have a 80w heat lamp on a build basking area a 3ft UVB 12% D3+ strip tube,

The substrate is Topsoil mixed with sand, on top of that is leaf mulch and leaf litter.

The humidity is 80% most of the time and I have made the enclosure bio active, springtails and bean weevils, the bean weevils have escaped into my room which is not good!... as for the spring tails I've not seen these once.

Basking spot is between 112f-115f, the cool side is around 84f (rough guesses as I'm at work)

Kay

Oh no...they escaped into your room! Yea that's doesn't sound fun.

My humidity is staying between 65-70. I am thinking about getting a fogger but the one I want is $64. it seems like I am putting so much money into this enclosure but its fun so....lol

Daniel Daley

Yeah my girlfriend isn't too happy lol I know what you mean Kay aha, I think I must have spent over £500 on this enclosure!! It's worth it in the end though mate. 65-70 I believe is good? I'm glad mine stays at 80% ish. a fogger sounds good!

Kay

I bet she isn't! LOL
Yea that is a good level but every now and then it drops to 60. I mist the substrate when it does. Id just rather have it constant without so much fluctuation

Daniel Daley

20170816_204036.jpg 20170814_192630.jpg

My enclosure divided and basking spot

Kay

Nice! Good idea to block off half the tank. I am seeing that him having access to the whole tank is a problem. My little guy runs and hides behind everything. I like the opening for the hide box too! Where did you get the idea for your substrate?

Zyn

Id add something to get on top of the hide box if that's her basking spot. It doesn't look the easiest for a young tegu to get onto they aren't the best climbers.

Zyn

Did you make sure the leaves didn't have some form
Of parasites on them before using them

Daniel Daley

Hello Kay, I read that also, so I thought it would be best to play it safe, I can easily remove the partition if needed and I have topsoil/sand at the read for the next side, I'm glad you like the hide box mate :) I got the idea from seeing about 60% topsoil 30% sand and 10% leaf litter online somewhere and to be honest it has worked, it's also made the substrate higher which is good.

Hello Zyn, this is a before shot of the improvement, I have since screwed in about 3 logs and have some rocks so it can climb up. As for the leafs, they come of my trees there are no parasites on them to be sure I have put a lot in the microwave. I have also made a door ontop of the hide box so I can open to mist the hide inside if needed.

In the enclosure I have 3 thermometres/hygrometres (overkill maybe, but I wanted them and doesn't hurt) I have one on the cool side, one on the hot side and one on at substrate level. I have a temp gun to monitor temperatures on the hide box.

Inside the hide box I have sphagnum moss which will hopefully help with shedding if needed. On the right hand side I also have another e27 socket for a ceramic bulb if goes too low, at the moment at night it is 70f so not needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam