• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu's and other animal's

jb62

Hi.

I'm thinking about getting my first tegu and I have had , Iggy , bearded, leopard lizard , two chams and I at this time have a female yellow ackie.
But was wondering how do tegu's get on with cat's or dog's.. We have two cat's.

Scott_k

I understand how dexter did what he did being it was a small kitten and it looked liked food. I have a 60 lb shar pei mix who when the lizard is out is more interested in tyson(red tegu) than Tyson is in him. What happens is they meet sniff, Tyson walks away and sim a follows

TheTeguGurl

Geesh kirby has some guts......lol I have had my animals around my Tegus but I have never left them alone together. I dont want to take the risk of my Tegus or other critters. The photo below is of Murphy and out kitty .. NEVER ALone

Attachments

• DSCF1724.JPG
    DSCF1724.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 40

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sometimes if introduced properly they can get along fine. But like most things it depends on the individual animals involved. Just because someone else's cat, dog, ferret and tegu or what ever gets along, or even just tolerates each other doesn't mean yours will.

anelk002

5 Year Member
My cat and tegu do good together. I had my cage open and I turned my back and see this

Attachments

• 20130426_120533.jpg
    20130426_120533.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52

Scott_k

Like bubblz said I think it all depends on if they're introduced properly. I did t introduce my gu to my dog until he was 2 yrs old, my dog is only a year old. From my exp my gu has more confidence than he had one yr ago. If your going to do it keep it supervised. And like it was stated before if you hear of a member having the most docile gu, gets along with every ody and anybody it might not be the same for you. Ie example I have 2 tree boa my male is a sweetheart heart can Be held dosent freak out never bit. My female is the complete opposite, she bites the s!!! Outta me.all I'm saying is expirement and adjust from initial reactions.

bfb345

Yeah if you really want to see if they will like one another introduce them and make your next decision on whether to further or cut back on their "friendship" depending on how the first interaction went every animal is different

misterpc23

5 Year Member
My tegu gets along fine with the cat, they share the basking spot. My tegu has only ever gone after the cat once and i believe it was because she had laid down on a plate that had previous had some bacon covered pizza on it. They were chilling in the tegus room (my walk in closet) when he got up from basking and started searching around the cat flicking his tongue. Once he made his way all the way around he latched on the the side of her mid section and took a short ride across the room hanging from the cat. He didnt bite hard enough for her to meow or hiss, just enough to hangon after startling her. I did double check the cat for any puncture wounds just in case though. But as mentioned previously earlier, i almost Never leave them alone together. The only time i do is if theyre behaving (sleeping under the basking spot) and im only going to be gone for less then 5 minutes

misterpc23

5 Year Member
If you are going to introduce your animals to each other do it in a controlledand neutral environment. Dont put the cat in the tegus cage, try putting them both in the bath tub while having one person restraining each animal just in case they dont get along

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.