• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus as Pets

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus as Pets
Some tegu species can make very good pets; others do not tend to be the best choices when choosing to have a tame animal. It is my opinion that the Argentine tegus are much easier to tame then their Colombian cousins. Of these the Black and White Argentine tegus are the ones that become tamer than all of the rest. The Red tegus seem to be a little shyer, but also tame down rather nice when handled often. The Blue tegus also will become rather tame with proper handling, but out of all of these, the Argentine Black and Whites seem to respond to human contact more so than the rest.
The Colombian tegus tend to be much harder to tame. In my opinion they do not become tame like the others I mentioned.
Argentine tegus are the only reptile that I know or that starves for human affection, most of the other tame reptiles tolerate being held, however Argentine tegus will often times come to their keepers for attention. In my opinion they make great pets, although they do require large housing. Argentine tegus have been compared to cats and dogs due to their intelligence and tameness.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980