• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus not growing

MoremovsIV

I've had my argentine bw since April 1 of 2018 and he is only 26" inches. He eats regularly, about twice a week. Has a 24 inch uvb light that's a powersun 10.0. He also has 3 heats lamps, 150 watt each. He was in a 40 gallon until he hit 14 inches, then I moved him up to a 8' by 4' by 4'. Hes coming onto two years old and I'm worries because of how small he is. Anybody able to give me some advice?

mdeford09

Old post but, any pics?

What does he eat twice a week? At 22 months old, I am feeding every other day to every 2 days. And, I am still supplementing a lot of calcium because they are growing.

It could be many things.

It could be that your Tegu has lost some of its tail so your 3ft male only looks 2ft.

It could be a lack of a food since they will slow growth if not enough food is present.

Or it could be a she instead of a he. In which case, you have another year before she will reach full size and 26" at 22 months is accurate.

Most people get those really big chunky males by 12-14 months by power feeding. High protein and high calcium/vitamins and they feed it daily. So if you are looking for that, you need to feed a LOT more often.

Lochlan

Yeah I would recommend feeding a lot more often reptiles grow according to how much food and nutrients they get, like I got a bearded dragon that's a "dwarf" because my brother barely fed her and gave her very little heat the first year and a half, she is fully grown at almost 12 inches and 3 years old I fattened her up and she is very healthy now she just looks like a giant fat horny toad with a long tail. Good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980