• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus + other pets?

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
I'm just a little curious as to whether or not tegus get along with other pets? or do they view them as food? lol. I have a couple small dogs, and i'm just kind of wondering if when i get a tegu, i would ever be able to introduce them? I don't plan on having them together or anything, but i just want to know how careful i'll have to be to keep him away from the dogs. So, basically, i want to know that if i'm holding him while i'm in the same room as the dogs, if they will try to get eachother.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We have 3 cats. They are curious but they leave the Tegu's alone.

Our 10 pound Rat Terrier has much less intelligence and will get in their face. The tegu's pretty much ignore the dog, but shortly after we got the big Red, the dog got bit and held across the snout. She deserved it. Stupid dog!!

olympus

5 Year Member
My tegu got along with a blue tongue skink. When I would put them in the bath tub together the tegu would let the skink cilmb on top of him.

CaseyUndead

5 Year Member
Awww!

Well, i have a chihuahua (about 7 pounds) and a poodle mix(less than 30 pounds).. I just want to know basically whether or not i would have to worry about the tegu trying to eat the chihuahua. heh.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Apollo gets along with everybody, the cat, the dog, the snake, but definitely not the frog. He would really enjoy eating the frog, which is understable. Venus doesn't attack anybody, but she's weary of the dog.

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
my dog enjoys every living things, he says hi to other dogs, cats, hamsters, ferrets, my skink, rabbits, fish, and etc, my baby tegu really doesn't care about the dog and leaves him alone, and the dog is really fascinated by Vegas and really enjoys watching him walk around

WhiskeyTango

5 Year Member
I have always wondered this too since I own a chihuahua...but I was talking to a lady that had a red tegu that got along great with her rabbit..So I guess it depends on the tegu and the other pet..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me