• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Temps

pinto24

5 Year Member
I have just finished setting up the enclosure for my incoming Tegu, and I am now trying to get temps set. I know the basking spots should be in the mid to upper 90's, and the cooler spot should be about 80, but what should the rest of the enclosure be at? Right now I am have it at the mid to upper 80's Does that sound right?

Thanks

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I like the cool side at 75-80, I do not like it in the upper 80s, that is a bit warm. The basking spot at 90-110, and I do not use any heat on the cool side at all.

pinto24

5 Year Member
So basically it is just like 1 cool side and 1 hot side? The basking spot is one area and the rest of the enclosure should kept in the upper 70's ?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
pinto24 said:
So basically it is just like 1 cool side and 1 hot side? The basking spot is one area and the rest of the enclosure should kept in the upper 70's ?

Yes, one side has a basking spot with heat, the other side needs no heat at all. This way they can warm up or cool off as needed, they can not cool off if the cool side is in the upper 80s.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Since I added plexiglas to the doors of our Tegu's enclosures the temps have increases to the mid 80's (I have to check again) on the cool side, with the room temp of about 80. I should add some venting low on the cool side and high on the warm side to have a little more air movement (there is a 1/8 to 1/4" gap around the doors). The problem is the Tegu's tend to dig low all around the enclosure when they want out. I wouldn't want them to rip out any nails on a vent.

Any suggestions??

pinto24

5 Year Member
what is the enclosure made of? I went to Homedepot over the weekend and got some 3"vents, drilled circular holes, and pounded them in, and they work/look great.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
pinto24 said:
what is the enclosure made of? I went to Homedepot over the weekend and got some 3"vents, drilled circular holes, and pounded them in, and they work/look great.
The walls are 1/4" plywood. The problem is they would rake across the vents and probably damage their claws & feet.

I checked the temps. Cool side 83 (same as ambient)& 100 basking. It feels hotter because its more humid in there. I didn't change anything.

pinto24

5 Year Member
can you put the vents up towards the top of the enclosure? Heat rises anyway and should seep out through the vents.

AB^

5 Year Member
pinto24 said:
can you put the vents up towards the top of the enclosure? Heat rises anyway and should seep out through the vents.

Sure you can

CageVents.jpg

And if your cage is still too warm you could hook up a small computer fan to help circulate the air a bit better.

AB^

5 Year Member
oh and I try to keep my basking temps between 100-120, and the rest of the cage below the mid 80's, I have a thermostat set up so once the ambient temps hit 85 all the heat sources shut off.

pinto24

5 Year Member
That is sounds like it could be rater tough. Are Rheostated ot rocks OK? or they still evil as hell?

AB^

5 Year Member
I would use a thermostat over a rheostat, cause you're not always around to adjust the temps on a rheostat as needed plus it's always kind of guess and check. you can find cheapo reptile thermostats at about any pet store though it'd be well worth the peace of mind buying something more pricey online. Pulse proportional is really the way to go in which the thermostat adjusts the output instead of just shutting on and off (which is what I use currently, dont really like it but it does the trick.)

pinto24

5 Year Member
so a thermostat on a hot rock? Ill spend the money because I want to be sure I get this right. I would be scared I would cook the little fellow

AB^

5 Year Member
I wouldnt use a hot rock period, thermostat or not. It isnt natural. A well illuminated basking spot (i.e. heat light) is much more natural(or as close as you can get in a vivarium). Most basking lizards see bright light as heat. I wouldnt go any other way as far as a basking spot goes.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
pinto24 said:
I thought I had seen it was best to have the vents on the cool side low to draw in cooler air and the warm side vents to be high to exhaust hot air.

I could put a couple of vents on either side in the lighting area, shown in the pic with the front panel removed. This would exhaust some of the hot air but I don't want to lose too much humidity.

100_4840_.jpg

Or I could put a few vents in the back that would be easier to cover up in the winter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu