• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

The itch... shedding thoughts

ophidia

Has anyone else ever been standing in the bathroom (or anywhere), tegu in hand, picking off loose skin scute by scute from the head, or back, or belly, or really anywhere, while your tegu is sitting there, limp, eyes closed, in apparent bliss, and thought about how incredibly awesome it must feel?

Seriously, how much better could it get than having a dexterous hominid plucking off your itchy dead stuff with no effort on your part other than just existing? I think if Stella could purr, she would have been purring.

My benefit is I have a much more colorful tegu to put back in her cage to sleep comfortably for the night. I have to clean out the drain a little, but that's only five minutes, and a low price to pay, really.

Just a random thought.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Has anyone else ever been standing in the bathroom (or anywhere), tegu in hand, picking off loose skin scute by scute from the head, or back, or belly, or really anywhere, while your tegu is sitting there, limp, eyes closed, in apparent bliss, and thought about how incredibly awesome it must feel?

Seriously, how much better could it get than having a dexterous hominid plucking off your itchy dead stuff with no effort on your part other than just existing? I think if Stella could purr, she would have been purring.

My benefit is I have a much more colorful tegu to put back in her cage to sleep comfortably for the night. I have to clean out the drain a little, but that's only five minutes, and a low price to pay, really.

Just a random thought.
Fair enough for both parties involved. Word around here has it that fish oil in food makes shedding easier on our saurian pals.

ophidia

She has some of that going on (fish oil on/in the food). I'm just a picker, but I only pick off what comes off with no effort. Mostly, I'm focused on those toes and tail tip. The rest is just a bonus.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She has some of that going on (fish oil on/in the food). I'm just a picker, but I only pick off what comes off with no effort. Mostly, I'm focused on those toes and tail tip. The rest is just a bonus.
A perk of being a keeper!!!

Trede

So I take it I'm not the only one who tries to see how much will come off in one go? Talia is just about done with her shed (those last ~3 inches of tail...), but not long after it started she was laying in my lap with her eyes closed and I was able to remove her belly, sides, and part of the top of her back all as one piece of skin! Fish oil in food, regular baths, and coconut oil after the baths seem to make the whole process a non-issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me