• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

THE SNAKE BAN IS COMING TO CALIFORNIA!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thats just horrible, they are meeting in the morning here to decideon the ban jete in illinois, a group of herpers are heading to sprinfield in the morning to protest the bill

turtlepunk

Ugh this crap is spreading like wildfire!!!!! I wish those herpers the best of luck!! SOOO MANY problems in the world YET they decide that taking peoples' pets away is MOST important!!!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's not going to stop either.

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.511:

Retics, Indian pythons and green anacondas have been added to the python ban HR511.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is just for a city in California and some of them do not make scenes. Its already illegal to own most rodents over 10lbs, crocodillians, venomous animals except natives collected under permits; those are all banned already under state laws way before the ban. The monitors and the large snake and bird thing is new though. Sad this is in my county right now.

turtlepunk

True its only in Chula Vista, but like James said, it's not going to stop, I hope it won't take over all of California, I hope it doesn't take over all of the U.S. but....I am a pessimist.....
The "United" States hasn't been a free country for a long time...........

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
With some places prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Chula Vista is an area similar to Florida where plenty of invasive species can adapt and procreate. Some type of ban should be expected with different species depending on where you are.

Since the same issue can and has happened in other areas with different animals.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Chula Vista is nothing like Florida, it regularly has temps drop too cold for most herps, nor is there enough natural resources down there to support most large herps. Its just some politician getting up on a soap box and spitting out what people want to hear. Half of that stuff is already state law so that is not changing. Its a sham its an election year things like this always happens.

Dana C

This is another example of why I no longer live in California. I was born and raised there but moved 6 1/2 years ago to Idaho. Outside of certain mammals, you can have anything you want including venomous reptiles. While Idaho is somewhat of a cultural wasteland, at least in the small towns, I will wouldn't want to go back to California for anything.
I seems like Californians like having their leaders and elected officials being fear mongers and liberal "me too" hysterical, paranoid schizophrenics.
What is worse, they seem to come up with fictional numbers and only partially quoted "studies" to support their kooky legislation.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
naturboy87 said:
I will never give up my reptiles .

To me its not about whether you will give them up or not. It's more about the people that make a living in the industry. What do the Burm and Retic breeders do.with their snakes now that they can't legally ship them??

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The best way to combat this is not offensive, that just makes people a lot more hostel. Think about it when has yelling ever worked against yelling, when has anger ever worked against anger.

Working in wildlife conservation and with one of the most controversial animals in the US (the wolf) I can tell you that yelling and being loud does little to make the problem go away. My main goal is to educate people, I do this both about wolves and reptiles. By taking the time to talk to people about reptiles and responsible ownership many people feel easier knowing more about the animals.

Example: I had an monitor lizard that I use to take to the pet store with me, a little ackie that would be leashed and sit on my shoulder. One day a lady yelled at me and called me out for bring a danger to children to the store. I placed the monitor back into his carrier and explained that this lizard is no threat to any person, I explained the food and the lighting and all the requirements to make him happy. A crowd had gathered to hear about this lizard from Australia that is just fascinating to watch. At the end of it the same lady the was screaming actually petted Spudnik. Most people think snakes will come up through their drains and eat their kids, large lizards will multiply and get the size of bears and chase them around the house. By de-bunking all this and helping the relate to a reptile makes it easier to change their minds.

I know there are some closed minded people and you can't change everyone. I personally think its a bad idea to one a tiger, bear or wolf but I am just one person.

Dana C

Josh said:
Maybe we should do a donation drive for USARK?

I for one, think that it is a good idea. It is time for people to put up a little $$ to protect reptile ownership in this country. We can whine all we want on web sites and sign internet petitions but everyone that really cares should be willing to put up something, even if it a very little amount.

I wouldn't want to hear any, "I can't afford it" reply's or stories. Everyone can smoke one less pack of cigarettes, (if they smoke), drink two less super jumbo sodas from the mini mart, skip donuts for a couple of days and so on. If someone can't afford 4 or 5 dollars, they can't afford to keep lizards, snakes or any other reptile or pet for that matter.

As you can see, I am all for a fund drive.....I think I am getting cantankerous in my old age.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How is it nothing like Florida when it's practically the furthest point south in California. San Diego get's pretty humid compared to the rest of the state. Regardless of temps and natural resources animals adapt not all but some do. Which is why I said with different species depending on where you are.

With all the imports coming in it could happen practically any where with just about any invasive species depending on the area and the animal or insect.
[size=medium][/size]

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The lows in Florida are in the 70's, Chula Vista has lows in the 40's. I would say they are quite different.

Compnerd7

Chula Vista only? I can kind of see why they would put a ban there but why not La Jolla, Carlsbad, or Vista / Escondido ? Those area's are full of land where released animals of that nature could flourish in the wild. In General, a ban in San Diego county seems really pointless because it is a pretty densely populated county, enough so that IF ( a huge " IF " on that ) there would be an " outbreak " of a non native species it would be extremely easy to contain [ mostly by me going around grabbing all the snakes and lizards I could get my hands on! ].

Anyways, I really hope this ban on herps isn't the match that starts a wild fire. I am afraid if this doesn't get stomped out that it will grow.

We still live in a Republic, and so there is always the option of starting an opposition to this bill ( and future ones ). I'll come sign it, I'm a registered voter, and I know quite a lot of people who would be willing to buckle up and do their part.

I still take my stand that these bans are an overreaction, but you still have to look at what happened due to the influx of non native species and their owners, so I can not blame the government for making such a rash decision. And now they are rightfully worried as the Herp industry grows bigger and bigger. I think a compromise and balance is in order. I've said before, a manageable permit, a low yearly fee, and bi-yearly / yearly update on your animal are not hard things for any of us to do. It will also help to weed out irresponsible owners as well.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
James thank you for pointing out the low in Chula Vista, it might be similar in latatuide but with the cold pacific rather than the war gulf we do get some really cold nights, not like the mid west but there are some days where frost is on the ground and the day temp does not pick up much higher. There is some salt water marsh lands left but with the heavy monitoring and regulations it would be hard.

I am all for a fund raising for USARK, I have already in the past so to me its no new thing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214