• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

THE SNAKE BAN IS COMING TO CALIFORNIA!

frost

1,000+ Post Club
donating isnt the problem for me. ill donate everything i can i just want to see something that actually works instead of dumping time and money to something that might go towards something unintended or something useless. im not saying that any organizations arent worth our time but id like to know what to do that will help our hobby out the most.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Valid concerns, frost. From what I can tell USARK raises awareness - and probably a lot of it, but I think the real way to go is straight to the politicians. There is an industry worth of people to protect here and when the politicians understand that (show them the money!), then public awareness will be largely irrelevant...

frost

1,000+ Post Club
thanks josh, how can i help them out? or what will be the best way? i send money letters ect. i just dont see why they just make it so people have to have a license or something like that instead of taking them away from us all together.=/

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You say that as if Florida doesn't get that cold. Temp drop = hibernate for those that can and do it's part of survival. If not then they migrate and try to find an area that's warm enough to survive.

It happens all the time, the only time it's noticed is when people are involved, feel they may or even may be affected in one way or another.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
If you actually think any area of California can support burms, retics, anacondas, boas or monitors you're out of your mind... Please make out a list of everything an animal like this would need to survive and reproduce i.e. temps, prey, humidity, hiding areas, room to roam etc...

Then show how it would find all that in a city in California

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Survive and thrive are 2 different thing, parhaps they may not be able to thrive but I'm sure some snake species and perhaps tegus and monitors (moreso tegus) could survive, they probably wouldn't be able to thrive and reproduce

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never been to california, I'm not stating facts, what I am saying is there is always a possibility, I don't know what the winter vs. Summer temps are but I'm. Sure they aren't in the 40's during the summer mos. An animal like a tegu can definately survive the winter mos. If they are in the 40's because he will hibernate

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't know why some people can't have a decent discussion with out resorting to insults when they don't agree with something.

But to answer your question, don't know if it was directed at me or not since not specified. No I've never been to Southern California,.. I was raised there and still have family and friends in Diego.

Temps, already mentioned.
Humidity, already mentioned.
Prey, the same as any where else, any type of rodent, rabbits, birds, reptiles and pets. As well as insects depending on the type and size of the animal.
Hides,.. same as any where else, find it where they can get it.
Room to roam,.. California has plenty of it. Depending on the animal it doesn't always have to be out in the open. Drainage pipes, aqueducts, from one backyard to the next, noticed or not.

Burms, Retics, maybe, maybe not but plug in just about anything else that fits the bill.

Like previously stated, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Some type of ban should be expected with different species depending on where you are.

Since the same issue can and has happened in other areas with different animals.

roastedspleen

i don't know if my town will be one of the towns that gets the ban if it spreads, after all santa rosa extremely temperate with freezing temps in the morning being normal. the largest reptiles we have are under 2 feet. although every person i talk to seem to be too ignorant to realize that
1. snakes can't live in the cold like in this town and
2 snakes also cant grow 50 feet and eat you your dog, your child and everyone else.
if the ban reaches here that would be disappointing, i really wanted an ackie monitor, but i guess if nothing is done about this weird stereotype on reptiles then i guess thats the way is.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
roastedspleen said:
i don't know if my town will be one of the towns that gets the ban if it spreads, after all santa rosa extremely temperate with freezing temps in the morning being normal. the largest reptiles we have are under 2 feet. although every person i talk to seem to be too ignorant to realize that
1. snakes can't live in the cold like in this town and
2 snakes also cant grow 50 feet and eat you your dog, your child and everyone else.
if the ban reaches here that would be disappointing, i really wanted an ackie monitor, but i guess if nothing is done about this weird stereotype on reptiles then i guess thats the way is.

No, snakes don't grow to 50', but there are some that could eat a child or dog. The lawmakers don't seem to care about the impossibility of these animals becoming established anywhere other than the Southern part of Florida. The facts are unimportant to them, it is about who is paying them the most.

AP27

I read the specifics on that ban, and one of the things that upsets me the most is that it states that ANY reptile may not be taken into ANY public place other than the owners own property. Granted I do not live in Chula Vista, but I am in Southern California and I just don't think that is right in any way. Why should someone be denied the right to take their pet with them to the pet store, or to explore a local park, just because someone higher up is prejudiced towards reptiles, when dog and cat owners are not denied any of these rights? There are vicious dog(individuals not breeds) stories on the news all the time, and people do react to those nearly as strongly as a story about a large reptile kept by an irresponsible owner that has attacked someone. Animals are unpredictable. That's a fact, from dogs to tigers, I don't care what kind of animal it is. I just don't understand why people get so prejudiced against an animal if it has scales...I've had people who do not like reptiles in the least hear about my tegu and my other wonderful reptilian pets turn their opinions completely around after hearing the truth about these animals. If only there were a way to effectively and massively spread awareness about these animals true natures to people.

There..my rant for the night.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Born and raised in San Diego and the humidty is low and the temps do drop. I think one of the few animals that would survive would be tegus. There use to be Chameleons that were lose in PB and La Jolla and even they died out after a few years. The local reptiles are all stocky bodied cold tolerant herps that can also stand the extreme dry heat as well. Most of the reptiles in the pet industry would not do well here. Some may survive but very few would truly thrive. There are a few that comes to mind but they are all aquatic, red ear sliders and African clawed frogs. Its a hard habitat to adjust to. I think animals might make it in the suburbs in a coyote don't get them first.

I hope Chula Vista does right by reptile owners, I know a few people there who keep some tegus and Iggys; not to mention at lest two reptile stores down there. Maybe I should mandate that young kids under the age of four should not be heard ever in a public area, violation would be a fine for the parents. Does it affect everyone, no but those who are affected are hit hard.

AP27

As a side note, a show titled "Man-Eating Super Snake" just came on animal planet about African rock pythons. No wonder people see these animals in such a bad light...
-_-
I hate all the negative press on the larger reptile species. You never see any happy or positive stories about them on TV.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You won't see anything positive, their agenda is to terrify the masses, if they accomplish that then they can get the uneducated people to back them up, I can count how many times family and friends have made statements about large snakes and lizards because of something they saw on AP or a movie, and they think its true til I correct them

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We've all seen that it doesn't have to be a wild population to get peoples attention and cause them to react. All it takes is for one persons pet to get lose be seen, eat someone else's pet and or god for bid wind up too close to a child or where children play.

Which could happen any where given the right circumstances.

A lot of people just hear boa or python and have a hissy fit with out even considering the size of the animal. They automatically see something huge that will kill you. I've gotten the same response when people see my tegus or hear that I have ball pythons. As far as they're concerned my days are numbered with all of these reptiles around.

Not to mention I've had and been around bully breeds all my life so I must have a death wish :rolleyes:.

There are too many blissfully fearful and ignorant people who don't want to learn or know, anything other than what they Think they already know.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Boas have been added to the recent bill passed by the house as well.

Florida is a loooong state. S FL has lows in 70's in winter, central FL is in the 50's and 60's, and N Fl hits 40's and 50's, regular dips into the 30's. I'm sure CA has temp fluctuations according to region and proximity to the coast as well. Here in the Orlando area, we don't have nearly half of the exotics that thrive in S FL.

But the issue in CA is not an issue of what can survive or not survive. Wasn't it San Fran that was banning soda sales in the city? Some politicians (CA and other places) have publicly stated this philosophy: the government officials know what is best for the people. It doesn't matter how much noise you make, because "we" don't really understand what is good for us. "We" NEED this government intervention for our own safety and protection and the well-being of everyone.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
haha if i was gonna add something to the ban i would add horses.iv probably had more injuries from them than any of my reptiles.and there is a lot of stories of them injuring people too. iv heard a few stories of them biting on someone neck and killing them or from a kick. point being is that there are horror stories from all animals.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree frost I believe that reptiles are targeted because people see them as old blooded creatures, they believe that reptiles are vicious animals who would rather try and eat you, horses, dogs, cats ect aren't seen in that light, they are seen as cute and cuddly animals although we all know they have more potential to harm a human than most reptiles

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214