• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Theological Shedding Discussion

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Think about salt, use common sense, what does salt do to the skin? I do not think you want to soak your animals in salt, you are going to dry his skin out even more. You could even cause it to crack and bleed, just like a long term saltwater fishermans hands.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
Think about salt, use common sense, what does salt do to the skin? I do not think you want to soak your animals in salt, you are going to dry his skin out even more. You could even cause it to crack and bleed, just like a long term saltwater fishermans hands.

I can picture him stranded on an island telling his friends to drink the saltwater, its good for you, swim in it too. :lol:

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
I've had it with this theory and I'm gonna find another subject to delve into. My neighbors snake was shedding and he put him in an epsom salt bath for 2 minutes, pulled him out, put him in their other tub with warm water ( no salt ) for 2 minutes, and then dried him off and rubbed RoC Age Diminishing Daily Moisturizer with Soy Complex and Vitamin E. Lol. I guess he took it from his girlfriend and said it's what he uses. I dunno. Salt, peroxide, alcohol bases. All seems to invasive in the sense that they are all disinfectants that can cause a burning sensation. Maybe I'll just try the RoC lotion.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So soaking, is better than fixing the problem for the inside? Lets use common sense, let's not give advice that might make the problem even worse, salt might be a quick fix, but then again maybe not. Regardless, what about the next shed? Salt again? That is not the answer.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
So soaking, is better than fixing the problem for the inside? Lets use common sense, let's not give advice that might make the problem even worse, salt might be a quick fix, but then again maybe not. Regardless, what about the next shed? Salt again? That is not the answer.

Diet and proper humidity is definitely the correct way to go. I was just looking for a fix when a problem comes up out of the ordinary. Like I said earlier though. I'm just sticking with me Vitamin E externally if my gu ever has a problem, but he hasn't so far, and the ig usually just needs a warm bath.

greentriple

5 Year Member
Is one bad shed a problem? I don't think so. A problem is something that happens repeatedly. If you're tegu does not shed every inch of it's body one time why worry, it's if it keeps happening that you should be concerned. Some skin left on the tail, oil it and peel it off. If it happens so often that you need to soak the animal all the time or consider pouring hydrogen peroxide on it you might want to consider its living environment, it's diet and any stress you're adding by poking and prodding at it when all the skin does not come off. Just my 2 cents.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029