• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Theological Shedding Discussion

greentriple

5 Year Member
I wonder how much of these particular vitamins Tegus get in the wild? Is captivity the cause of the problem? What foods in the wilds of Argentina have A, B, B12, and E, etc...? I don't think they eat cod or it's liver, talapia maybe. I know Argentina is known for its beef production, but are Tegus chomping on the livers?

My point is if our captive environments and diets are at fault should we not look to that and ways to improve husbandry to an assortment of "vitamins" can be provided "naturally"?

ApriliaRufo - try the Hydrogen Peroxide, let us know if it works.

Bobby, how do you handle the need for these vitamins in your animals?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
To tell you the truth, in the wild they eat a bunch of different seeds, most seeds are high in oils.

greentriple

5 Year Member
Do you know what type of seeds? It would be good, I think, to be able to offer them something similar if not the same. I've not read anywhere the suggestion of feeding Tegus seeds.

What do you think?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ever hear of any problem with seeds getting stuck in the intestinal tract? That would be my only concern. There are alot of great seeds I can think of with great concentration of healthy oils. Flax, almonds, peanuts, sunflower etc. The smaller being my concern. If anything I would think the seeds in the wild tegu's might come from fruit?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They do eat palm dates for sure.( Euterpe edulis) palm seeds also called called "Palmito", (Syagrus oleracea) also called "Catole palm" seeds, (Syagrus romanzoffiana) "Queen palm", are eaten by tegus. All species of Tupinambis are dietary generalists. Arthropods, mollusks, and small vertebrates, particularly frogs, are common in their diets, as is carrion. They also feed seasonally on plant materials, especially fruits and seeds. An analysis of wild Argentine tegu stomachs revealed that tegus consume approx. 66.8% Vegetation, 12.9% Invertebrates and 20.3% Vertebrates.

As for the impactions due to seeds, or vegetation for that matter, all I can say is it is proven the eat these things in the wild. I would think that a palm date would be hard to pass for them, but they do eat them in the wild. There is also a few studies that were done with tegus on palm seed dispersal.

G

VARNYARD said:
They do eat palm dates for sure.( Euterpe edulis) palm seeds also called called "Palmito", (Syagrus oleracea) also called "Catole palm" seeds, (Syagrus romanzoffiana) "Queen palm", are eaten by tegus. All species of Tupinambis are dietary generalists. Arthropods, mollusks, and small vertebrates, particularly frogs, are common in their diets, as is carrion. They also feed seasonally on plant materials, especially fruits and seeds. An analysis of wild Argentine tegu stomachs revealed that tegus consume approx. 66.8% Vegetation, 12.9% Invertebrates and 20.3% Vertebrates.

As for the impactions due to seeds, or vegetation for that matter, all I can say is it is proven the eat these things in the wild. I would think that a palm date would be hard to pass for them, but they do eat them in the wild. There is also a few studies that were done with tegus on palm seed dispersal.

I'm researching the "fruits" that are available in the wilds of SA and bobby's "seeds" are by definition fruits. I'll have a full report later. Gotta pretend I'm fixing people's cable.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is one, but I don't want to do all of your homework for you. :)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.virtualherbarium.org/palms/psdispersal.html">http://www.virtualherbarium.org/palms/psdispersal.html</a><!-- m -->

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok, I will give you more, this is getting fun. :wink: Please also remeber the seed is also the fruit of many plants.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ns.rc.unesp.br/ib/zoologia/denis/Fungiv.pdf">http://ns.rc.unesp.br/ib/zoologia/denis/Fungiv.pdf</a><!-- m -->

TUPINAMBIS MERIANAE (Tegu Lizard). FUNGIVORY. Tegu
lizards (genus Tupinambis) are generalist consumers with a diet
based on diverse vertebrates (fishes, amphibians, reptiles, birds,
and small mammals) and invertebrates (millipedes, arachnids,
insects, and mollusks), as well as seeds, fruits, eggs, and carrion
(Dessem 1985. Copeia 1985:245-247; Donadio and Gallardo
1984. Rev. Mus. CiÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?ªnc. Nat. Bernadino Rivadavia 13:117-127;
Kiefer and Sazima 2002. Amphibia-Reptilia 23:105-108;
Martuscelli and Olmos 1996. Herpetol. Rev. 27:21; Mercolli and
Yanosky 1994. Herpetol. J. 4:15-19; Milstead 1961. Copeia
1961:493-495; Sazima and Haddad 1992. In: Morellato (ed.),
HistÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?³ria natural da Serra do Japi, pp. 212-236. Editora da
Unicamp, Campinas, Brazil; Rivas et al. 2001. Herpetol. Rev.
32:108; Souza et al. 2002. Herpetol. Rev. 33:209). However,
fungivory is unreported. Hence, we provide an observation of the
tegu, T. merianae, feeding on mushrooms.
On 2 December 2002 around 1200, we observed a subadult
(ca. 28 cm SVL) male Tupinambis merianae feeding on the
fruiting body (mushroom) of the basidiomycete, Macrocybe
praegrandis, growing on a lawn on the campus of the
Universidade Estadual Paulista, Rio Claro, SÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?£o Paulo, Brazil. The
lizard was seen taking a small bite atop one of three fruiting bodies
available; it ate half the fruiting body (15 cm in diameter) in less
than a minute. The lizard readily ingested the mushroom and
showed no apparent sign that would suggest distastefulness.
However, the lizard fled just after noticing the observer, which
occurred after 20 sec of observation. This individual is part of a
group of about a dozen free-ranging, semi-tame tegus that live on
the University grounds. These lizards receive no other
management beyond occasional food supplementation that consists
of one-day-old chicks and bananas. Over the 14-day period during
which the fruiting body of this fungus persisted, no other feeding
episode was recorded, even though disappearance of more of the
fruiting body implied continued consumption.
To our knowledge, among reptiles (in the historic
paraphyletic sense), only tortoises of the genus Kinixys are known
to regularly consume fungi (Hailey et al. 1997. J. Trop. Ecol.
13:469-474), although trace amounts of fungi are recorded in the
diet of Gopherus agassizii (Hansen et al. 1976. Herpetologica
32:274-251). Thus, our observation may represent the first record
of fungivory in a squamate reptile. Our observation of fungivory
could reflect either atypical ingestion by a naive animal, or
inclusion of previously unrecognized food item that may be
difficult to identify from stomach content analysis. As no other
tegus were seen feeding on this mushroom after the initial
observation, the former alternative is most likely.
We thank Marina Capelari for the specific identification of
the mushroom, Augusto S. Abe and Marc P. Hayes for kindly
revising the manuscript. Fungi voucher material (DZRC 1002) was
deposited in the collection of the Department of Zoology,
Universidade Estadual Paulista, Rio Claro, SÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â? Ã¢â?¬â?¢Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?£o Paulo, Brazil.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
I'd like to discuss the issue of shedding in the sense of a medical basis. Shedding is the process of living scale cells replacing themselves as mitosis takes place and cell number does not increase, but rather die and are taken place by larger cells.

Part One - Hydrogen peroxide tricks the body into believing there is a concentration of WBC's at a particular area, and therefore the body sends even more to that particular area. Hydrogen peroxide obviously oxygenates the area and works as a mild antiseptic in 2-3% dilution. The simple theory is that the lightning fast decomp of peroxide, could POSSIBLY cause the loose skin capillary embolisms. This would loosen the dying skin and prepare an auto-immune reaction to protect the skin. This is possible but has not been tested, and would oviously have to be adjusted to the oxygen levels of a tegu. This should answer your questions about decomposition. Hydrogen peroxide always decomposes (disproportionates) exothermically into water and oxygen gas spontaneously:
2 H2O2 â?? 2 H2O + O2
This process is very favorable; it has a Î?Ho of â??98.2 kJÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1 and a Î?Go of â??119.2 kJÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1 and a Î?S of 70.5 JÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·Kâ??1. The rate of decomposition is dependent on the temperature and concentration of the peroxide, as well as the pH and the presence of impurities and stabilizers. Hydrogen peroxide is incompatible with many substances that catalyse its decomposition, including most of the transition metals and their compounds. Common catalysts include manganese dioxide, and silver. The same reaction is catalysed by the enzyme catalase, found in the liver, whose main function in the body is the removal of toxic byproducts of metabolism and the reduction of oxidative stress. The decomposition occurs more rapidly in alkali, so acid is often added as a stabilizer. There is no alkali metals in your tegu so that should cause no problem, but anyone who has ever done the Freshman Biology Combo of beef liver and peroxide knows that this is not something you could attempt with full 3% solution, nor submersing your tegu. This theory of mine is the idea of a 1% dilution of hydrogen peroxide onto a cotton ball and applied to the area in which shedding is starting.

Part Two - My personal favorite. What in the world is fish sauce?! Fish sauce is a condiment derived from fish that have been allowed to ferment. Fish sauce is a staple ingredient in Vietnamese, Thai, Lao, Philippine and is used in other Southeastern countries. Instead of adding to cooking, fish sauce can also be used as a dipping condiment for fish, shrimp, pork, and chicken. In southern China, it is used as an ingredient for soups and casseroles. Fish oils, fish parts, and salt are set to ferment and then the releasing liquid is released. The oils in fish and the process of fermentation cause a semi-isoprpyl like alchol to be present. More like the ethanol that humans consume for inebriation. It is a viable antiseptic as well as an organic oil based lubricant. NOTE (The prices of fish sauce are determined by the alloted period of time to ferment.) Two conclusions can be drawn from the ferment time in realtion to antibacteral properties as well as their practicality. The older fermented sauce is much less potent in smell, but may contain a higher concentration of an alcohol substance, the younger will smell strongly but may not have the intensity of strong alcohol. I have not tested old scotch and young scotch on a wound to determine which is less or more painful and of course you would want your tegu to be comfortable. Oh and of course if you have the younger, the smell maybe too much for your tegu to resist and your hand could be confused with a tasty fish!

Part Three - Fruits. A precise definition of fruit. A fruit is a ripened ovary. After the ovule in an ovary is fertilized in a process known as pollination, the ovary begins to ripen. The ovule develops into a seed and the ovary wall pericarp may become fleshy (as in berries or drupes), or form a hard outer covering (as in nuts). In some cases, the sepals, petals and/or stamens and style of the flower fall off. Fruit development continues until the seeds have matured. With some multiseeded fruits the extent to which the flesh develops is proportional to the number of fertilized ovules. Fruits tend to be high in fiber and Vitamin C, and sometimes vitamin A. Neither Vitamin C nor A serve any dermetological purposes in the aid of exfoliation, skin disease, or basic skin health, whether it be your skin, scales, feathers, or fur. Some fruit contain natural helpers to cause a shine to skin, hair, and/or scales, but none of these "fruits" are fruits by definition of consumption. Vitamin A and C are both aides in Auto-Immune regulator production, but have nothing to do with the body's outer protection in any species. So if the only evidence we rely on is scientific, fruit does not aid in shedding nor the brightness in color of your animal. However, it might save him from a nasty bit of the common cold?

Define: plagiarism

"stealing someone else's ideas and presenting them as your own."

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lib.jmu.edu/gold/documents/glossary.doc">www.lib.jmu.edu/gold/documents/glossary.doc</a><!-- w -->

More than half of what you said has been copied and pasted from several sources.

greentriple

5 Year Member
This is awesome!! What I'm begining to understand is that these "little" guys can eat just about anything in moderation.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
RehabRalphy said:
ApriliaRufo said:
Hydrogen peroxide always decomposes (disproportionates) exothermically into water and oxygen gas spontaneously:
2 H2O2 â?? 2 H2O + O2
This process is very favorable; it has a Î?Ho of â??98.2 kJÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1 and a Î?Go of â??119.2 kJÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1 and a Î?S of 70.5 JÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·Kâ??1. The rate of decomposition is dependent on the temperature and concentration of the peroxide, as well as the pH and the presence of impurities and stabilizers. Hydrogen peroxide is incompatible with many substances that catalyse its decomposition, including most of the transition metals and their compounds. Common catalysts include manganese dioxide, and silver. The same reaction is catalysed by the enzyme catalase, found in the liver, whose main function in the body is the removal of toxic byproducts of metabolism and the reduction of oxidative stress. The decomposition occurs more rapidly in alkali, so acid is often added as a stabilizer. Fish sauce is a condiment derived from fish that have been allowed to ferment. Fish sauce is a staple ingredient in Vietnamese, Thai, Lao, Philippine and is used in other Southeastern countries. Instead of adding to cooking, fish sauce can also be used as a dipping condiment for fish, shrimp, pork, and chicken. In southern China, it is used as an ingredient for soups and casseroles. Fish oils, fish parts, and salt are set to ferment and then the releasing liquid is released. A fruit is a ripened ovary. After the ovule in an ovary is fertilized in a process known as pollination, the ovary begins to ripen. The ovule develops into a seed and the ovary wall pericarp may become fleshy (as in berries or drupes), or form a hard outer covering (as in nuts). In some cases, the sepals, petals and/or stamens and style of the flower fall off. Fruit development continues until the seeds have matured. With some multiseeded fruits the extent to which the flesh develops is proportional to the number of fertilized ovules.

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lib.jmu.edu/gold/documents/glossary.doc">www.lib.jmu.edu/gold/documents/glossary.doc</a><!-- w -->

More than half of what you said has been copied and pasted from several sources.

The small amount of info in my post that I have quote quoted was taken from wikipedia. All other information was my own theory and typing. If you have any doubt, go looking for it and prove it. I came up with that on Mack Rd. in Sacramento on my lunch hour.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
RehabRalphy said:
ApriliaRufo said:
Hydrogen peroxide always decomposes (disproportionates) exothermically into water and oxygen gas spontaneously:
2 H2O2 â?? 2 H2O + O2
This process is very favorable; it has a Î?Ho of â??98.2 kJÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1 and a Î?Go of â??119.2 kJÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1 and a Î?S of 70.5 JÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·Kâ??1. The rate of decomposition is dependent on the temperature and concentration of the peroxide, as well as the pH and the presence of impurities and stabilizers. Hydrogen peroxide is incompatible with many substances that catalyse its decomposition, including most of the transition metals and their compounds. Common catalysts include manganese dioxide, and silver. The same reaction is catalysed by the enzyme catalase, found in the liver, whose main function in the body is the removal of toxic byproducts of metabolism and the reduction of oxidative stress. The decomposition occurs more rapidly in alkali, so acid is often added as a stabilizer. Fish sauce is a condiment derived from fish that have been allowed to ferment. Fish sauce is a staple ingredient in Vietnamese, Thai, Lao, Philippine and is used in other Southeastern countries. Instead of adding to cooking, fish sauce can also be used as a dipping condiment for fish, shrimp, pork, and chicken. In southern China, it is used as an ingredient for soups and casseroles. Fish oils, fish parts, and salt are set to ferment and then the releasing liquid is released. A fruit is a ripened ovary. After the ovule in an ovary is fertilized in a process known as pollination, the ovary begins to ripen. The ovule develops into a seed and the ovary wall pericarp may become fleshy (as in berries or drupes), or form a hard outer covering (as in nuts). In some cases, the sepals, petals and/or stamens and style of the flower fall off. Fruit development continues until the seeds have matured. With some multiseeded fruits the extent to which the flesh develops is proportional to the number of fertilized ovules.

The small amount of info in my post that I have quote quoted was taken from wikipedia. All other information was my own theory and typing. If you have any doubt, go looking for it and prove it. I came up with that on Mack Rd. in Sacramento on my lunch hour.

ok.

Really? Just a small amount?? So far, I've found 3 sources with 3/4 of the info in each of your paragraphs.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070711081813AAVLYCx">http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 813AAVLYCx</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce</a><!-- m -->
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
RehabRalphy said:
ApriliaRufo said:
RehabRalphy said:
ApriliaRufo said:
2 H2O2 â?? 2 H2O + O2

ok.

Really? Just a small amount?? So far, I've found 3 sources with 3/4 of the info in each of your paragraphs.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070711081813AAVLYCx">http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 813AAVLYCx</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_sauce</a><!-- m -->
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit

I believe that in the last post I made, I quoted the parts of my information that I took from wikipedia. What you found on yahoo answers, was also take from the wikipedia article. This is not 3/4 of my work, but the point is that all of these ideas are mine. I took information on peroxide, fruit, and fish sauce to make my theory viable. Next time I can, put my work in thesis format with footnotes so that you can feel good. Thanks for trying.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Here. I will make it easier for you to see what was taken from wikipedia.

ApriliaRufo said:
I'd like to discuss the issue of shedding in the sense of a medical basis. Shedding is the process of living scale cells replacing themselves as mitosis takes place and cell number does not increase, but rather die and are taken place by larger cells.

Part One - Hydrogen peroxide tricks the body into believing there is a concentration of WBC's at a particular area, and therefore the body sends even more to that particular area. Hydrogen peroxide obviously oxygenates the area and works as a mild antiseptic in 2-3% dilution. The simple theory is that the lightning fast decomp of peroxide, could POSSIBLY cause the loose skin capillary embolisms. This would loosen the dying skin and prepare an auto-immune reaction to protect the skin. This is possible but has not been tested, and would oviously have to be adjusted to the oxygen levels of a tegu. This should answer your questions about decomposition. Hydrogen peroxide always decomposes (disproportionates) exothermically into water and oxygen gas spontaneously:
2 H2O2 â?? 2 H2O + O2
This process is very favorable; it has a Î?Ho of â??98.2 kJÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1 and a Î?Go of â??119.2 kJÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1 and a Î?S of 70.5 JÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·molâ??1Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?·Kâ??1. The rate of decomposition is dependent on the temperature and concentration of the peroxide, as well as the pH and the presence of impurities and stabilizers. Hydrogen peroxide is incompatible with many substances that catalyse its decomposition, including most of the transition metals and their compounds. Common catalysts include manganese dioxide, and silver. The same reaction is catalysed by the enzyme catalase, found in the liver, whose main function in the body is the removal of toxic byproducts of metabolism and the reduction of oxidative stress. The decomposition occurs more rapidly in alkali, so acid is often added as a stabilizer.
There is no alkali metals in your tegu so that should cause no problem, but anyone who has ever done the Freshman Biology Combo of beef liver and peroxide knows that this is not something you could attempt with full 3% solution, nor submersing your tegu. This theory of mine is the idea of a 1% dilution of hydrogen peroxide onto a cotton ball and applied to the area in which shedding is starting.

Part Two - My personal favorite. What in the world is fish sauce?! Fish sauce is a condiment derived from fish that have been allowed to ferment. Fish sauce is a staple ingredient in Vietnamese, Thai, Lao, Philippine and is used in other Southeastern countries. Instead of adding to cooking, fish sauce can also be used as a dipping condiment for fish, shrimp, pork, and chicken. In southern China, it is used as an ingredient for soups and casseroles. Fish oils, fish parts, and salt are set to ferment and then the releasing liquid is released. The oils in fish and the process of fermentation cause a semi-isoprpyl like alchol to be present. More like the ethanol that humans consume for inebriation. It is a viable antiseptic as well as an organic oil based lubricant. NOTE (The prices of fish sauce are determined by the alloted period of time to ferment.) Two conclusions can be drawn from the ferment time in realtion to antibacteral properties as well as their practicality. The older fermented sauce is much less potent in smell, but may contain a higher concentration of an alcohol substance, the younger will smell strongly but may not have the intensity of strong alcohol. I have not tested old scotch and young scotch on a wound to determine which is less or more painful and of course you would want your tegu to be comfortable. Oh and of course if you have the younger, the smell maybe too much for your tegu to resist and your hand could be confused with a tasty fish!

Part Three - Fruits. A precise definition of fruit. A fruit is a ripened ovary. After the ovule in an ovary is fertilized in a process known as pollination, the ovary begins to ripen. The ovule develops into a seed and the ovary wall pericarp may become fleshy (as in berries or drupes), or form a hard outer covering (as in nuts). In some cases, the sepals, petals and/or stamens and style of the flower fall off. Fruit development continues until the seeds have matured. With some multiseeded fruits the extent to which the flesh develops is proportional to the number of fertilized ovules. Fruits tend to be high in fiber and Vitamin C, and sometimes vitamin A. Neither Vitamin C nor A serve any dermetological purposes in the aid of exfoliation, skin disease, or basic skin health, whether it be your skin, scales, feathers, or fur. Some fruit contain natural helpers to cause a shine to skin, hair, and/or scales, but none of these "fruits" are fruits by definition of consumption. Vitamin A and C are both aides in Auto-Immune regulator production, but have nothing to do with the body's outer protection in any species. So if the only evidence we rely on is scientific, fruit does not aid in shedding nor the brightness in color of your animal. However, it might save him from a nasty bit of the common cold?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok guys lets get back on topic, IMO Hydrogen peroxide should be avoided, it is a poison. Hydrogen peroxide:

Dermal
Prolonged exposure to concentrated vapor or to dilute solutions can cause irritation and temporary bleaching of skin and hair. Contact with concentrated solutions can cause severe skin burns with blisters.

Because of their relatively larger surface area:body weight ratio, children are more vulnerable to toxicants affecting the skin.
1. Effects on Animals: Hydrogen peroxide is an eye, skin, and mucous membrane irritant. The LC(50) in rats is 2,000 mg/m(3) (1,333 ppm) for 4 hours, and the dermal LD(50) in rats is 4,060 mg/kg [NIOSH 1995]. Dogs exposed to a 7 ppm airborne concentration of 90 percent hydrogen peroxide for 6 hours per day, 5 days per week for 6 months developed external body irritation, sneezing, lacrimation, and bleaching of the hair. At autopsy, their skin was observed to be thickened and their lungs were seen to be irritated [ACGIH 1991]. Rabbits exposed daily to 22 ppm daily for 3 months exhibited irritation around the nose and bleached hair [ACGIH 1991; NLM 1992]. Application to the eyes of rabbits shows that hydrogen peroxide in concentrations of 5 percent or above can cause lasting damage [Grant 1986]. Oral administration of hydrogen peroxide in mice has caused adenomas and carcinomas of the duodenum [IARC 1985]. The International Agency for Research on Cancer has concluded that there is limited evidence of hydrogen peroxide's carcinogenicity in animals [IARC 1985]. Hydrogen peroxide is mutagenic in bacterial test systems and causes DNA damage, sister chromatid exchanges, and chromosomal aberrations in mammalian cells in vitro [IARC 1985].

I think a proper diet and humidity would be a much better choice than choosing a chemical.

Persons exposed only to hydrogen peroxide gas do not pose risks of secondary contamination to personnel outside the Hot Zone. However, persons whose clothing or skin is contaminated with concentrated hydrogen peroxide solution can secondarily contaminate personnel by direct contact or through off-gassing vapor.
Hydrogen peroxide is a clear, colorless, noncombustible liquid. It is a powerful oxidizing agent; when it comes in contact with organic material, spontaneous combustion can occur. Odor does not provide a warning of hazardous concentrations.
Hydrogen peroxide is not absorbed by the skin, but can cause systemic toxicity when inhaled or ingested.

Do you really want to use this stuff?

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Hydrogen Peroxide would definitely be a bad idea if it was concentrated at the levels those articles were about. However the only harm in hydrogen peroxide in diluted solutions including the antiseptic 3% is capillary embolism. Which is like drinking alcohol. The RBC's explode and appropriate replacements are made. I don't know what the ratio of size and thickness of skin is, nor the amount that would cause any pain. So please people, this was just a theory. Don't try this.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Aprila,
For the fish sauce, were you suggesting it as a topical solution or part of a diet? I am not clear on the matter.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Aprila,
For the fish sauce, were you suggesting it as a topical solution or part of a diet? I am not clear on the matter.

I've used both. I like to use the expensive more aged for a trick for my tegu to eat some fruit, and I've used it VERY lightly on my iguana. It annoys him, but I cut myself with a stapler by accident and tried it on a wound and I will not use it again on my iguana. It burns like a light alcohol and I don't want to stress my animals.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Aprilia,
I saw your post under the Blues Locale sections on using Salt water as as a shed aid. I decided to come back here and post so that the topic on the blues wouldnt get diverted. As for the idea, I think it may be plausible. If placed in a hypertonic salt solution(aka salt water) I think this could be beneficial to shedding. Reptile scales have the same basic qualities of human skin in the sense that it is made up of the protein Keratin. When in shed, I think the skin becomes more permeable allowing the sodium to enter the cells. Thus swelling them maybe to the point of lysis (where they explode from swelling) which would leave the skin loose. There might even be something with the Na- K+ ion transport pump that we could look into. I am no expert in these matters so don't quote me lol. But I am going to look into it.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Aprilia,
I saw your post under the Blues Locale sections on using Salt water as as a shed aid. I decided to come back here and post so that the topic on the blues wouldnt get diverted. As for the idea, I think it may be plausible. If placed in a hypertonic salt solution(aka salt water) I think this could be beneficial to shedding. Reptile scales have the same basic qualities of human skin in the sense that it is made up of the protein Keratin. When in shed, I think the skin becomes more permeable allowing the sodium to enter the cells. Thus swelling them maybe to the point of lysis (where they explode from swelling) which would leave the skin loose. There might even be something the the Na- K+ ion transport pump that we could look into. I am know expert in these matters so don't quote me lol. But I am going to look into it.

Thanks bro. That is exactly what I was thinking. THe only reason it was in the blues section was because it was interesting to see how near water blue tegus were found near. Thanks for input, that's what I like to see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029