• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

TheTegu.com

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
TheTegu.com has been down for a while now and may be sold to a new owner. Understandably, the current owner, Rick, is fed up with vBulletin and it's updates and costly software. I am considering making an offer for the database and domain name. I was thinking it'd be much better to merge the two sites together and have all Tegu info and members together on one site but I wanted to see what you all think also...

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think that's a great idea, bring everything to one place, I think it would make things much easier

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't see why not,.. the only reason they were separated is because of the falling out Rick and Bobby had. But quite of few of the members are registered and visit both sites anyway.

On another note Thetegu.com is more of a laid back forum that some people prefer and is why they haven't switched over.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There is a distinctly different feel between the two communities. It may come from the split and the tone that was established over here vs the one that stayed behind (not wanting to be involved in conflict, etc). There is a lot of valuable info on that site. At any rate, I don't think it is a good idea to merge because some members really do not want to come to this site (no offense, Josh) for very specific reasons.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Well. Rick and I talked about a offer and we both agreed on that offer. I bought the " thetegu.com " forum :) . I'm going to have the forum up and running ASAP.

Laura. You took the words out of my mouth ( no offense, Josh ).

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats Samantha!

No worries. I don't take offense at all. I understand that the two communities developed separately for a reason. I was just thinking for the better of the tegu community as a whole... Especially since Bobby and Rick would no longer be involved with either site.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Thank you Josh :) . I'm very excited about this. Rick just felt better for the forum to stay in the hands of someone he knows ( like Laura or I ). I love the forum very much and I didn't want to see any changes made to it. That's why I bought it. It kind of has a nice warm family feel to it. You are doing a very good job with your forum ;) . To bad that Rick and Bobby split before. But things happen for a reason.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats, Sam! I must say I was itching to have it, but it just wasn't meant to be for me. I believe things happen for a reason. I know I've been on that site since 2006 and think you were there a bit before me, right?

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Thank you Laura :) . No, I have been on the forum since October of 07. You are a very big part of the forum of what it is today as I am ( and a few others ). You put alot of time and love into it. I'm very honered to have you on my team ;) . It it is still your forum, too. I'm just very glad that I had the money at this time. I have a few ideas for the forum that I'm going to talk to you about it later on.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats on buying thetegu. I was surprised to see that the site was down. It was sad when the split happen, hard to belive that happen so long ago. Most of the people that I talked with moved over to this site so I did too. I still lurk on the other form but trying to keep up with both and work was too hard so I had to choice just one.

I do think its best to keep the two separate. Both have great info and much different feels. I think the age of the two sites bashing each other is over so it just offers people two different options. If they don't like one there is always the other.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
I dont understand why there is bad blood between these sites. I only joined recently, so I dont know what happend, but we all love tegus dont we?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A short, very short history. TheTegu was the first site that was created. Two well known tegu breeders Rick -owner of thetegu at the time and Bobby Hill - founder of this site, got into a bit of a debate and this cause Bobby to create his own site. Some people stayed at thetegu and others moved to tegutalk. It has been years now and I think any bad blood between the sites is long gone. What the fight was about I don't remember and i don't think is important. Both sites do great work in educating people about tegus.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i think they should stay separate,i go on there from time and memeber on there since 06 or 07.And the bobby and rick fallout was between them and yes i know what it was about but none of my business.But both sites are very helping and have great and smart people,along with great information on tegu's and other lizards.Congrats Samantha to..

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
:D Congratulations Sam,.. I know it's been down for a bit and will be watching for the updates. 2006 doesn't seem that long ago until you actually think about it and everything that's happened. I think I joined around that same time too.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think 2004-2008 was when tegus were starting to enter the pet trade with regularity and increasing popularity. The riff between the guys really doesn't matter at this point, like teguboy said.

More "bad blood" so to speak, came from members being banned at one forum. At one time, it seemed to happen with much frequency. I mean people used to say "this forum" or "the other forum" because they felt they had to tiptoe so not to offend anyone, or didn't even want to mention the name of the forum they didn't like. Those banned members came together with pretty strong and sometimes hurt feelings. Now I see info being cross posted even with links to threads on opposite forums.

There is a lot of great info on both sites. I think of each Internet forum as a coffee shop or someone's living room. There are some places I don't want to go hang out and some places you don't want to go hang out. The tone feels different, the language, the topics. It's not right or wrong....just different. Some people like both equally, some prefer one, some don't like either, lol.

I wanted to clarify my original post when I said some people wouldn't want the forums combined and some wouldn't want to visit here. It is not that there is anything "wrong" or offensive or whatever word about THIS forum, it is just a matter of personal preference. Some people may have stronger opinions about "bad blood" and why they dislike one or the other, but I try to remain a bit more objective and open-minded. I hope that makes sense and I'm not just sticking my foot in my mouth!

Dana C

Congratulations Samantha, (if I can use your name). I took a 7 yar hiatus from reptiles in general and when I got Eva several months ago, The Tegu.com was the first site I joined because I had a hard time joining this one.
It is correct that they both have different tones if you will. I had some very thoughtful responses to questions on the other site as I do here as well.
I think the paramount thing is making sure that civility rules and that people needing help get the help and suggestions they need.

I know that people that don't do their home work or the science when they buy their first Tegu are frustrating. However it is your / my job to make sure they become knowledgeable Tegu owners. We also must realize that some will never quite "get it". It is the same on snake sites, other lizard forums etc.

I feel very fortunate that I have all of you as a resource and hopefully I will become a resource to others as well.

Again congratulations! I will once again add Thetegu.com to my favorites. (I deleted it because the URL was gone)

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for the congrats :) .

Dana. Yes, you can use my name :) ;) . Thank you for going to add TheTegu to your favorites again. Rick set up a donation area up to help me pay for the Vbulletin. I would of payed it myself but since the domain and the database was much more then I was hoping for I didn't had enough to pay for the Vbulletin. I would pay for it but it would take a little while and the forum would of stayed down. But I wanted to get the forum so bad because I didn't want to see any changes and have someone take over that we don't know ( well we know Josh :) ).

The great news is that RamblinRose donated onehundred dollars :) . That was so awsome. So the forum should be up and running very soon now :) . I'm so happy about all of this. I miss the forum :( .

Thank you very much Rose :) .

I'm sorry about all the smiley faces. When I get excited I use them alot lol.

Khoilie

I have no idea about all the drama between the sites but I do have an experience with that forum. When i got my Tegu i Google'd "Tegu Forums", TheTegu.com was the 1st result so I went to it and tried to create an account but it had a process i have never seen before on a general hobby forum. You had to create the account, then your "application" had to be reviewed by an administrator to determine whether or not you "got in". After waiting a few days and even sending a pm to one of the admins I became very frustrated because I had many questions about the Tegu I had recently bought. I found it to be ridiculous like it was some kind of elitist lizard forum or something lol, which doesn't even make sense.

I've only seen one other forum like that and it was for cars. you had to be nominated by a current member, then submit a lengthy application complete with pictures, videos, the works, then it was reviewed by a panel of admins, then if you got in, you became part of the elite, revered in the Drifting scene because you got stickers, t-shirts and other apparel to prove your membership and only a member could buy those things.

Anyways, i just ended up going to the store i got my Tegu from, they answered most of my urgent questions. All the while I had forgotten about TeguTalk.com until I Google'd "Tegu forums" again and it showed up in the results. So i signed up, started posting immediately and never thought about the other site again.

lol i just realized this looks like a rant but its not I promise haha. I'm just high and in a typing mood lol

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Khoilie. First I would like to say I'm sorry for it being so hard to because a member on TheTegu forum. It not used to be so hard. But since we had alot of spam on there Rick the previous owner put a higher security on there. This is why new members had a harder time to register. Since he was the only one ( until he made Laura and I Amins ) who could except a new member it took a little longer for him to go through all the new members info. Then he made Laura and I Admin. We could then preview the informations ( IP address, legit email address, look up if the member was banned on another forum...... ). If everything was good to go we registered that new member. This kept the spam down.
But when the forum is back up we ( my boyfriend and I ) are going to figure out how to make it easier for new members to register and still keep the spam down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214