• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

this is why we cant have nice things.

Neeko

It so nice to see everyone's pics of their tegus in decor n such. I know If I put anything other then a rock in my enclosures it is stomped on, dug up, pulled down etc. It's basically Godzilla is Tokyo scene. Anyone else with this issue or are your guys good with decor?

HeatherN

mine has no issue with decor, but i havent really done much with the cage at all. he does like to stick his nose in things though, so i dont put in things that he could get stuck in or pull apart

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hahaha - I love when people say that 'this is why we can't have nice things!'
Tegus are definitely culprits for disaster - as are sulcata tortoises and any kind of puppy

Dirtydmc

Had fake plants in dexters old tank. Along with some drift wood. He moved all of them around. Couldn't keep it nice. Planning on trying again. Have a bunch of wood for him that won't hurt him if it falls over on him.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My tegus enclosures are all plain. They are in 8ft enclosures with a water bowl and a hide box. One cage doesn't even have a hide because she poops on it every time. People say, "I want to see pictures of your enclosures." I reply, "No, you don't....not really." lol But for stimulation and excitement, they get to do on the back porch and climb on stuff and knock things over. On especially nice days they can go outside with me for a bit. So it's not too boring.

Josh, lol about Sulcatas. Mine is such a bulldozer. He's small enough to think he can fit in odd places, but big enough to drag around chairs and stuff in the back yard. He has picked up a new habit of coming to the back sliding glass door for food/attention every day at 5pm.

Murkve

Mine won't destroy yet. She usually digs up everything - creating new tunnels and digging under things and such. However, I have some plastic plants mounted in styrofoam pieces, and she leaves them alone.

As of late she spends the bulk of her time trying to escape. Heh. :)

Scott Hogge

MacGyver doesn't seem interested in re-arranging his enclosure, but that might just be because he has been spending lots of time free roaming. I have three plastic plants and 2 pieces of driftwood in his enclosure that he likes to climb [while trying to escape,] but he hasn't moved them around at all yet.

He does however, like to re-decorate the rest of the house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWCYxh2iiHo

In this vid he decided he didn't like the shower drain cover where I had left it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GITNsVoT-0

This vid (also in the official macgyver thread) is him trying to dig into the wood floors. He has a few favorite spots in the house that he like to dig at.

Neeko

Lol just watched the vids, maybe tegus are like truffle pigs. I'll start digging when ever they try to get under something. :p

frost

1,000+ Post Club
the only tegu i have a problem with destroying stuff is rosy. she just stopped digging all her substrate in her enclosure in her water bowl. i usually had to scowl at her while i was digging all her substrate out of the water bowl and putting in fresh water every morning...i have a baby sulcata right now so the cage destruction is low for now. i have heard that they can be pains.

new2tegus

Same with Jekyll, he lives up to his name. It's amazing how strong they are. I have to get a hide box, and a single large basking rock, if anyone has suggestions on a rock or place to get one, that would be great. I am using a 12x12 paver which is to small, and it's on smaller pavers to bring it up some. He knocks that around, he tossed the water dish against the door. He's destroyed about 7 lamps,so I need to figure something out.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Wow I.hope.Zeus doesn't.do.that when he grows u have your hands full

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
They sure do dig I though he would only sleep in his hide I was wrong he sleeps everywhere in the holes of the cinder block he dragged some moss too. And under his water dish he sleeps he is to funny especially when he eats he does the wiggle

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use to have real plants inside Bosco's cage and I was changing them out daily at one point. I find the large light weight PVC and drainage pipe are some good toys for tegus, they can knock them around sleep in them tunnel in them. Sadly I cannot even use these now for Bosco as he has used them as leverage to pop the glass off the runners, freaking smart tegu. His cage now is just a hid box, one cinder block (although he had that up against the glass the other night so that might be removed too) and his water dish. Anything else is seen as an item that can aid in his escape. I do make the reptile room more interesting, there are tunnels and cat climbing things and outside time is at least twice or more a week. He does not like the cage much anymore so he free roams the house more now.

Murkve

chelvis said:
I use to have real plants inside Bosco's cage and I was changing them out daily at one point. I find the large light weight PVC and drainage pipe are some good toys for tegus, they can knock them around sleep in them tunnel in them. Sadly I cannot even use these now for Bosco as he has used them as leverage to pop the glass off the runners, freaking smart tegu. His cage now is just a hid box, one cinder block (although he had that up against the glass the other night so that might be removed too) and his water dish. Anything else is seen as an item that can aid in his escape. I do make the reptile room more interesting, there are tunnels and cat climbing things and outside time is at least twice or more a week. He does not like the cage much anymore so he free roams the house more now.

I find it amazing that an adult Tegu can move a freaking cinder block. It's twice their weight! It'd be like me moving a 300 lb. brick.

Before I was pretty stoked about when Sigourney would get big. I still am, but I am going to have to think her enclosure through. Geez.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The strength is impressive, but the intelligence is almost too much to handle. I have seen him take logs/sticks and get them stuck between the glass and side of the cage and use it to slide the glass open. Super tricky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980