• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tile Floor

ashesc212

5 Year Member
If I were to build an enclosure with a tile floor, what sort of grout and sealant could I use that wouldn't be toxic for a beardie and tegu?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I believe Carol, AKA reptileszz, on this forum did something similar. I would PM her and ask.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used sheet vinyl flooring on the floor and up the sides about 8 inches. Then you only have to seal the corners. They haven't scratched it yet.

100_4606_.jpg

100_4634_.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No, it's not bad. the hard part is weighting down or clamping each step so the glue will dry. It takes 4 steps, so 4 days to do it.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help.

The first enclosure is for the beardie so I think I'm just going to put tile in without grout so I can take them out and clean them.

Now I'm trying to figure out what type of wood stain would be best to use that would be animal safe.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
The first enclosure is for the beardie so I think I'm just going to put tile in without grout so I can take them out and clean them.

Now I'm trying to figure out what type of wood stain would be best to use that would be animal safe.
We use slate tiles with the Beardies, ungrouted so they can be removed for cleaning (like you said).

As long as you but a few coats of polyurethane and stain should be OK.

Deafbum

5 Year Member
Is it better to use water-based or oil-based polyurathane?

I heard that the water based does not last as long

ashesc212

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
ashesc212 said:

We use slate tiles with the Beardies, ungrouted so they can be removed for cleaning (like you said).

As long as you but a few coats of polyurethane and stain should be OK.

Thanks! So I'm going to go with water-based stain and water-based Polyurethane. That seems to be the consensus. We picked her up some nice tiles the other day.

Even though it's nice that we bought her all these finishing touches, we are not ready to finish it yet lol. Argh - every time we move forward we find out something is wrong. For example, we didn't bring our measuring tape to Home Depot when they cut the wood, and, now we have a few pieces that are a little short here or there. Plus, a few of the panels we bought were supposed to be 24" wide, but only one of them is actually to that spec and the others are 23". As we go we have to keep improvising so it's taking us a while.

We couldn't even find any sort of slider for the sliding glass doors in the front so now I have to make one. I think I should be ready to start staining by Wednesday, HOPEFULLY. We also had some cost overruns, I sure wouldn't make a good carpenter haha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980