• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

To answer the question, what do you keep?

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
This question gets asked alot in the chat and on the forums. I'm just going to list everything here, just once. I do rescue so this list can change from day to day, week to week, but it's usually something like this (I'm not going to indicate gender, just numbers):

12-24 Green Iguanas
5 Rhino Iguanas
5 lewisi hybrid Cyclura
2 Cuban Rock Iguanas
5 Ctenosaura palearis
2 Cteno. similis
5 C. pectinata
2 C. bakeri
1 C hemilopha conspicuosa
4 C. quinquecarinata

3 Desert iguanas
1 Red backed chuckwalla

3 Oplurus quadrimaculata
4 O. cuvieri
4 O. cychlurus

3 Egyptian Uromastyx

1 Chinese Water Dragon

5 Bearded Dragons

2 Argus monitors
2 Timor monitors
3 Savannah monitors
1 Whitethroat monitor
1 Dumerils monitor
1 Nile monitor

2 Argentine tegus
2 Red tegus

4 Sulcata tortoises
1 Redfoot tortoise
2 Leopard tortoises

3 Eastern Box turtles

2 Common boas
1 16 ft albino Burmese python

Housed at my daughters:

14 Ball pythons
5 Common boas
2 Argentine boas
1 Green anaconda
1 African Rock python
2 normal Burmese pythons

Many smaller snakes including Texas longnosed, fox snake, rat snakes, hognose, kings and corns, sand boas, rosy boas, and gopher snakes.

About 30 aquatic turtles, including RES, maps, muds, musks, snappers, and terrapins.

Stephanie also has her own collection of about 100 geckos, including cresteds, leaftails, leachies, grandis day, and vorax.

I have 2 dogs here and 2 cats. Steph has 8 dogs and 3 cats, a rabbit, a hedgehog, and a few old rats left from her show breeding days.

I think that is it but I'll probably remember something tomorrow morning. It's late. :)

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Seriously though, that's an awesome collection. We've got a tegu, an albino pacman frog, and a young iguana, and I'm already stressed that I can't afford big enclosures for the ig and teg. You're house must be a converted airplane hangar! Oh jif, we were talking last night and I was wondering, do you think a 5x3x5 is too big or small for the heloderma?

Der-Boa-Lieber

5 Year Member
Sounds like you have a pet store :lol: .

Sadly i only have my dog and Mexican Black King right now, and my Albino Blue Tegu that i am selling so i have no idea how much longer i will have it. Back in the day when i had the funds my house was full of boas and pythons...well snakes in general.
1.1 Hypo Hogg Islands,
2.2 Hogg Islands,
0.1 Albino Columbian,
1.0 Hypo columbian,
2.1 Het Albino Columbian,
1.0 Anery Columbian,
1.1 Woma Pythons,
1.1 Ball Pythons,
0.1 Rosey boa,
1.2 Striped Columbians,
0.1 Albino Ruthvens King,
1.0 Het Albino Ruthvens King,
1.1 Tri-color Hognose,
0.1 Savu Python,
1.1 Apricot Honduran,
1.0 Silver Queen Corn,
0.1 Motley sunglow Corn,
0.1 Creamsicle Corn,
0.1 B & W Tegu,
Emerald Curly Tail,
Savy Monitor,
and some others i can't think of besides the other dogs and cats i have had running around.

WhiskeyTango

5 Year Member
Oh man that is a ton of reptiles!!!

I only have one reptile for now.
1.0.0 green iguana(Kiwi)

plus some dairy goats,pygmy goats,ton of rabbits,chihuahua,some cats and a cocketeil.

lol

erk

5 Year Member
My list is pretty short:

Bicho Rojo - 0.0.1 Red Tegu (Tupinambis rufescens)
Speedy - 0.0.1 Mali Uromastyx (Uromastyx maliensis)
Ranger - 1.0 beagle/retriever mix (crazy canine maximus)

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
My wife thinks we're keeping alot, I'll show her your list and prove her wrong. We tend to do a little bit of "rescue/adoption" with the intent of finding good homes, only to wind up attached to the some of "temporary" boarders.

Currently, we're keeping
1.0 Colombian B+W Tegu
0.1 Sumatran Blood Python
1.0 Borneo Blood Python
1.0 Savu Python
1.0 Timor Monitor
1.1 Leopard Gecko
0.0.1 Redfoot Tortoise
1.0 Nigerian Uromastyx
1.0 Ball Python
0.1 IJ Blue-Tongue Skink
0.1 Wife

I'm actually looking to add (long-term) one or more of:
- [f] Colombian Tegu - for my insane idea of breeding these fine (slightly unpredictable) animals, just so I can say "someone is doing it".
- Argus Monitor - because tripoding is cool
- Nile Monitor - Most of my history is with these oversold, misunderstood (not for everyone) animals.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Blood Pythons are cool!!! I saw a guy at the Hamburg show walking around with one on his shoulders, 6 feet long and as thick as his leg!!!

techhousejunkie

5 Year Member
one arg red tegu but getting ready for my Trimeresurus Albolabris, my first hot snake but I cant wait :D :D :D (does anyone keep venomous or ever had???)

Swtbrat

5 Year Member
1.0 Black & White Tegu
1.0 Red Tegu
0.0.1 Blue & Red Cross Tegu
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.0.1 Gargoyle Gecko
0.0.2 Chahoua Geckos
0.0.1 Northern BTS
1.0 Indonesian BTS
0.0.2 Indonesian BTS babies
3.1 Dogs <all fixed>
0.1 Kitty Cat

Brat!

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
techhousejunkie - (re: hots)
As a teenager (20+ years ago), I identified and kept a few copperheads on and off (capture, keep, feed, release). My survival (and theirs) was a matter of dumb luck.

About ten years ago, I boarded a juvenile gaboon viper for an acquaintance who had no idea what he was getting into.

I learned that he used the "tap on glass alot" technique of animal friendship until it stopped eating. Eventually it struck the glass and got one of its long fangs stuck through its cheek. He couldn't find a vet to deal with an aggressive gaboon with a sideways fang, so it wound up in my house. After prying the fang out, I treated him with intensive stress-relieving "leaving the poor thing alone". Eventually, he was coaxed him into eating (semi-regular) and reclaimed by the owner.

Personally, I don't keep hots. The additional prep and precautions required to keep one responsibly just exceed the time I have to spare right now. Before I'd even consider adding a hot to my collection, I'd make sure I had gloves, antivenin, tongs, a hook, a bag and preferably a locking hide. Even species with "mild" hemotoxins can lose you a finger (worse if you have an allergy). Luckily, all venomous snakes have built-in allergy testing. Oh, wait...

Asian vipers are beautiful and amazingly fast snakes. Gratz and good luck to you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me