• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Two Years and finally a Tame-ish B/W Tegu

onnie0047

As some of you know I have 3 Tegus, Two B/W Magawi and Oscar I got from Rodney and a Red Tegu Felix, I bought from a dealer in Florida. Magawi has Never been friendly, at best she has "tolerated" me over the past 26 months. I counted in there the 9 months when she ran away late 2017 Till spring 2018 she might as well get credit for running away. Oscar hated me until one day about a month after I got her. One day while I was hold her She just gave up and excepted me, it was really weird one moment she was fighting me and the next the just sat there. She has been retaliative calm since. Felix you might as well forget him as he hates me today as much as he did the day I got him. Last year, while moving Magawi from one enclosure to another, she attacked me and got ahold of my thumb. For serval weeks after that she would lunge at me as I walked passed the enclosure. I started picking her up with extreme care and only when I needed to. Fall was coming and I knew the three of them would be going in to burmation for the winter. I have two enclosures for them, one for the summer out in the garage, where I spend a majority of my time when its warm and one for the winter inside my office, where I usually spend the rest of my free time. Fast forward 2019. It took them a couple weeks to "wake up". Felix is finally eating live food. This is quite the accomplishment for him since he is afraid of everything that moves. Oscar woke up in a very good mood and constantly wants my attention, but this year she is displaying a new behavior, falling asleep when I rub her. If I am holding her and she is outside of her enclosure she won't sit still for a second. She falls asleep only when she is inside her enclosure, guess that is where she feels the safest. So Today as I was rubbing Oscars head and neck, Magawi came over and placed his head in my other hand and fell asleep.....WHAT!!! Who took the Devils child and put in a puppy dawg in its place??? Im hoping Magawi's behavior continues to improves, so far she has not lunged at me this year, but I not totally trusting her either. Next up, Felix, I aint giving up just a yet, I still got one thumb that has not been bit yet!!! lol

Last edited:

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Wow. Y'know - some people think these Bl/Wht Tegu's aren't aggressive. I spent about 9 months trying to tame my yr old rescue from Rodney, and managed not to get bit (not because he didn't try). Over time I got him to let me pick him up, massage his neck, and work inside and around his tank without wondering what he was thinking. I did ALL of the recommendations that everyone helped me with on Tegu Talk. My perspective now is that the patience has paid off, but EVERYTHING is on his terms. I'm O.K. with that, but it's hard to read about others' lizards that they smooch, and cuddle with. There will be no smooching or cooing or cuddling with Skully. He views human contact the same way he views crickets.....Completely useless. I hope you didn't get too injured! That sounds horrible. I have a new baby that I just got from Rodney, and she's only 3-4 months old. Such a cutie pie. So far - she's skittish, but not aggressive. I'm so hoping for some normal contact - maybe a little cuddling at some point!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Like folks, all individuals. No reason for constant defensive behavior though.

onnie0047

My thumb is fine, no real damage, she was just telling me to back off she had had enough of me for a while. While two of the three are not as "Tame" as I expected they would be by now, I can say I really enjoy taking care of the three of them. Each day I see different behaviors in them that they did not display the day before. Now finally Felix the red male is eating good and is wondering around the enclosure instead of hiding. it took longer than I expected, but he is slowly coming around. He even approached my hand yesterday even though he was still huffing while doing it. Everything is always on their terms, lol. Mine come to the window when they want my attention, or to be fed. Either I massage them for a few minutes or if its their feeding time they get fed and then they go about their business until they want me again. I looked at other reptiles to keep, I have never regretted my decision to get Tegus at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980