• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ugh kyle is being a brat!!!

bwiegmann

Ok so I've been introducing Kyle to the wonderful world of food... He has been eating basically everything I've been offering. I picked up some whole shady a few days ago thinking it would be a good whole food for him. Well I was right, he loves them (cut up of course :) but now he will not accept any other foods. Not even his snails..... He will dig through whatever other food is in his bowl desperately looking for his favorite fishy treat and then walk away if he does not get any. He's such a brat, what tips does everyone have to help get him back to a more varied diet?? Thanks!

agv0008

My baby does the same thing. He pretty much only eats pinky mice. I put calcium on the side that goes against the plate, so he doesn't know it's there. I try to get him to eat other stuff, but he will only take one bite and then wait for the next pinky mouse.

Others have told me that it won't hurt them, just keep offering different types of food and the tegu will eat what it wants.

Some have said to not feed them for a couple days and then they will get hungry enough to eat different things.

Opinions on this matter seem to be a mixed bag.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hold out for a few days, Darwin has been hard to get to take other foods grrr loves them snails and that's it. I have stop giving him snails for two days and then put new food items in his bowl, if he leaves them for more then two days then I give in but not all the way. I take only one snail and chop it up and get some other food items (this week was talapia) and cut that up and mix it all up and then he eats the snail smelling talapia. He now will eat a few more things now that he knows they are food. Now braking a junkfood habbit (not a picky eater just one that likes one things really) its going to be harder. Try putting the juices over the snails or other foods and see if that gets him going.

bwiegmann

Well we tried some tiilapia and he loved it lol :) here's the fatty after eating a whole bowl of it :)
[attachment=5049]

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Hey, do you guys feed them land snails or aquatic snails... Im looking for a source to get some land snails for my skink....

bwiegmann

I feed him aquatic snails. In Indiana there is basically no source for these as well lol so he's been eating can o snails by zoo med. Good luck in your search!!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
LOL food coma!!!

I get canned snails as well for land snails, aquatic you can get frozen at the Asian market for cheep. There was some guy on fauna a few months back selling grove snails, keep in mind these are field collected. You can also check for escargo (sp?) producers, but I found most are smothered in garlic and are more expensive then zoo-meds can-o-snail.

bwiegmann

Chelvis, I'm starting to think Kyle might be a kylee lol, his head has really dulled and is a brownish red now, he is shedding, but it seems his head is done, who knows, lol do you know if there are any size/ temperment differences between males and females?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Males tend to have a more rounder head and blunter nose while females tend to have a much longer and thinner nose. Females from what I have heard seem to be more "moody" while males tend to calm down faster. Males also have a bb like bump at the base of the tail just like tegus do. Male do get bigger then females but at this age its hard to tell for sure by size alone. I can look over some of the pic posted and see if I can make a best guess at what Kyle is.

bwiegmann

Here's a pic of Kyle n the base of his tail as well. First is a pic of him when I first got him, second today, third base of tail. Ty chelvis :)

[attachment=5053]
[attachment=5054]
[attachment=5055]

Haha Sry bout the last one, it was really hard to get, and he just popped I guess lol, didn't realize till I blew it up after posting ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980