• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ummmm please help? hibernation Q's?

Jer723

5 Year Member
Hey guys. I'm Back! LOL i would really like to post on here way more, like i used to before school started. but im so darn busy right now i cant get on often. But now in seriousness. lets talk about the GU's. :) Ok so my tequila and Tico, my b&w and my red, have both been under since august, and i was just wondering if im caring for my tegus the right way while they are in hibernation. Tell me if any of what im doing is wrong. So first off, after i saw they were down for a few weeks i shut off the lights. but i left the heating pad on. is that ok? or should i unplug that too? also i check on them both quite frequently, and they seem just as fat as when they went down in august. i tried to feed both of them several times, but they did NOT want to hear it. they just said leave me alone and went right back to sleep. Is this something i should worry about? that they are not eating. tico has not even come up for water. is that a bad thing, and neither has tequila, i would know if they did because they are so darn messy throwing mulch in their water bowls. :D im just wondering if they are ok. i wouldnt want to be secretly killing my tegus without knowing it. theyve only been down for 3 months an i miss them sooo much! :( all comments are welcome. Thanks a bunch guys. glad to be back to TEGUTALK.com Forums!!!

Jerry

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You shouldn't be using a heating pad. You could possibly burn them, depending on how hot it gets on the bottom and how deep he burrows. Whatever the room temp is will be fine for hibernation.

I reduce the hours and leave water in his bowl. I've never turned the lights completely off because I might see him for a little while on the weekend so I'm figuring he gets up once in a while during the week.

Jer723

5 Year Member
ok, thanks for the heads up dave :D how about for feeding tho? do you feed your gus when they are in hibernation? or do they just need water? if you feed how often? thanks

Jerry

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
you should never feed a tegu that is hibernating when then go back to "sleep" the could rot in there stomach causing a slow death but like dave mentioned just take the heating pad out and keep the enclosure about 60-70 degrees, keep fresh water availible and they should be ok

Jer723

5 Year Member
thanks guys, i may see tequila once or twice since shes been under, and tico. i havent seen him forever. hes been under his water bowl. hes OUT! lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029