• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Unhealthy tegu hibernating?

Butterflieslies

5 Year Member
I am extremely worried that my tegu is not healthy enough for hibernation. He still has mouth rot that despite daily cleanings with the perscribed medicine is not going away, he is also extremely skinny and refusing food. Should I not let him hibernate until he is healthy? Like keep the heat high and humidity up?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
i think i would get it to a good reptile vet and see whats going on. have stool checked and maybe blood drawn, i dont know im not a vet but dosnt sound to good!!

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Only healthy animals should be allowed to hibernate from what I've read. A hibernating tegu might not eat for the better half of a year.. Imagine them trying to do that with an empty stomach and a mouth full of infection.

If your medicine isn't doing anything for the mouthrot I think it's time for another vet visit. Hope everything turns out alright for you.

John

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
It's mouth rot isn't healing quick do to low diet. Your ointments are helping to keep from infection. What's happening id the low food intake is causing low nutrients and minerals in the animal. Aswell the vitamins are starting to get too low. I'd recomend to continue feeding, with calcium on every meal and try to get more Repti-Vites into it too. If it's not really eating, then you should probably put a vitamin supplement in all meals till it's appetite stabolizes. For it to have an appetite you have to get all temps stable and make sure it's getting good UVB. How old are your lights? I've heard that tube lights last 6 months and Mercury Vapour Bulbs last 3. Aswell a vet checkup is a good thing to do too.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
yup!! years ago i had a python that ended up getting mouth rot, my vet gave me a few pills that i used a q-tip and pushed down the pill into the mouse throat {pre killed mice}. then i just fed it to the snake and in days the rot was gone, maybe mention that to your vet and see if he/she knows what im talking about.

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Also, a good appitite booster is unflavored children's Pedyelite (however that is spelled). Soak him in a warm bath WITH the pedyelite in it (put him in a plastic tub, not a bath tub, so the pedyelite will mix in better). This might boost the appetite a bit. And, yes, take him back to the vet if the medicine isn't working.

DaRealJoker

5 Year Member
Butterflieslies said:
I am extremely worried that my tegu is not healthy enough for hibernation. He still has mouth rot that despite daily cleanings with the perscribed medicine is not going away, he is also extremely skinny and refusing food. Should I not let him hibernate until he is healthy? Like keep the heat high and humidity up?
I see you've been to a vet as it says in your post "prescribed medicine" Is the vet a reptile vet? Go back if things don't pick up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980