• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Unusual coloring?

Rebecca Stout

Hey kids. I got my first tegu last month. She is around the age of a yearling. I got her from Bay City Reptiles (hardly know a thing about that guy, but also couldnt find anything bad online about him). She was making quite the fuss at Repticon because of her coloring. My husband and son encouraged me to get her rather than one of the guys stunning high whites. I know these guys often loose their baby colors when they have them. But this orange/peach is still pretty bright. I thought I'd share. Shes supposed to be a black and white argentine. The breeder claimed she was chocoan though (I understand all the contraversy regarding that subject).

How "unusual" is this anyway? Her tummy is firey. I really need a shot of that. I'm holding my hands praying this doesent fade to a total "blah". I like striking contrasting markings. So if she turns white and black, Im great with that ... as long as the white is a really white white.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
She's beautiful! Congrats on the new addition to your family! She looks to be about a couple feet long? She may hold those colors though it's nearly impossible to tell what her exact lineage is. It's tricky the way people try to sell the names of certain breeds/designer morphs etc.!

Rebecca Stout

Boy you're dead on. She is about a couple feet. I'm embarrassed to say how much. I measured her and she was twenty something inches but I forget. Now I'm curious and going to have to measure her again. Lol And yeah, how it can be tricky when this is a species with so few "types" is bewildering to me.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Hmm she STRONGLY resembles my hybrid in coloration. Not saying she is a hybrid but it's a possibility a few years ago hybrids were being labeled as peach tegus to up value so this is a possibility.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400255211.931929.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400255259.889891.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400255273.690838.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400255283.258231.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400255296.059766.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400255309.927668.jpg

Rebecca Stout

Hybrid? As in Columbian/Argentine? I didn't know that could be done. Wow .. the coloring is EXACT. The markings not so much ... but .. does mine have anything diff about her markings than a normal black and white? She def has visible lines where they should be. But are they normal? She has so much black. She def has normal face scaling I think. I'm new to this. Did yours get a thermal burn in the exact place mine did? If so how did it heal, did it go back to normal? Mine came in with quite a bad one ... it's a waiting game to see if it'll ever go back to normal sadly. I just can't get over the coloration being so exact. How old is yours? Thanks so much for sharing. This was a trip.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Mine is a argentine red X argentine black and white.

She had no thermal burn just has a dark coloration on her nose. And she will be 2 on June 14th. Do you have anymore photos of yours?

Rebecca Stout

No really. Shes HYPER. oh my freaking gosh. She doesnt stay still. She jumps almost 2 foot straight up onto shelves, etc. The only time she stops moving is when she snuggles. And then shes covered up in your arms. I'm going to set up a basking light outside the cage today. She'll eventually get under it. Then I can get shots lol.

Rebecca Stout

Until then here is a movie of her. During part of the video you can see her markings and colors very well (well, not the coloring so much .. being a phone movie the pictures is somewhat dull)

Rebecca Stout

Where did you get your girl at? I so wanted to go to tegu terra or ty park. But I was at a repticon, and saw a lesser known breeder with fabulous looking high whites. I went to get one when hubby and son found her. She created quite the stir there among tegu fans. They made made me second guess and me jump on it. I like unusual, but I love how the high whites look ... so pretty to me! But I'm starting to really appreciate her because I've only found a few people online remotely like her. I'm doubting this small time, possibly questionable breeder would be good enough to do a hybrid. However, ... if he is not very vigilant and careless about letting his diff colors/breeds mix occasionally ... maybe hybrids could occur? He had no idea how it happened. He said she is a black and white with extremely unusual coloring. And that she was chocoan as well. ::shrugging::

Deac77

5 Year Member
I got my girl from a member here. Reds and black and whites will breed if kept together it's not hard to do. It's possible she's a bw, with a lot of orange, but non way to know unless the breeder sent you photos of parents and copulation

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980