• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

up and about, DUW!!

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Boon's been up for a couple weeks and it was a nice day out so..

back up buddy, this is my house(huffing up a little :shock: )
100_0144.jpg

takes me 15 minutes to get leash on(without freaking him out) and I take it off 10 minutes later..
100_0154.jpg

what's that over there?
100_0155.jpg

adopted cat and some of my layers
100_0164.jpg

hat shots..
100_0168.jpg

100_0177.jpg

100_0184.jpg

on the block..
100_0227.jpg

100_0225.jpg

100_0208.jpg

100_0214.jpg

100_0217.jpg

checking out one of the nests..
100_0193.jpg

100_0194.jpg

100_0198.jpg

Boon wishing he had some jowls..
100_0201.jpg

100_0203.jpg

and a couple pics of my tortoises.. alot harder to take picutes of, they're slow as molasses but don't stop moving!
100_0274.jpg

100_0261.jpg

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks, they're burmese brown mountain tortoises(quite a mouthfull) aka Manouria emys emys

Red Earth Exotics

5 Year Member
those look great. i have been thinking of getting a tortoise for a while. not sure what kind yet. would you reccomend them as a pet?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I like them alot! They live in heavily forested areas so they need lots of shade and hides as well as cooler temps(60-upper 80s). They also LOVE water. When I first got them they would only eat when I turned the sprinkler on and they still love it(especially on hotter days it's good to keep them cooled down). They'll follow you around begging for food and if you're not paying attention and/or don't have a treat you're likely to take a nip on the leg or foot if you're unfortunate enough to be wearing sandals :shock: .. Lots of fun tho! They're so slow it's almost comical to see their mouth coming towards your leg in slow motion(5 seconds after noticing just take a step back and you're in the clear).

Beasty

5 Year Member
[img said:
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp90/JMH-bucket/100_0198.jpg[/img]
Mmm... tastes like chicken! :drool

I'll be glad when mine are up and it's warm out.
Even my lil blue is only up long enough to decimate some grub every day or two.

Your fella is looking very nice!

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks all, should be getting alot of waking up tegu pics on the boards soon, I can't wait to see them all!

Schnab

5 Year Member
I have the same kind of leather leash as you do, but haven't been too successful on getting it on. How did you manedge to get the arms through?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Getting it on takes a while! I don't want to stress him out so I basically let him walk through it about 50 times before his feet hit the holes then I gently tighten the leash. It doesn't seem to bother him in the least, he acts the same with it on as off and it makes me feel more secure with so many potential predators in my yard. When he's bigger the leash will go and the so-called potential predators better watch their backs :-D .

argus333

5 Year Member
those burms are sweet, is that a pair? if u get eggs ever let me know, one of my favorites, i have pair of leopards.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I love the pics of your tegu. I think he wants you to make his breakfast out of those eggs though haha.

Those tortoises are amazing!

Have you tried an iguana leash (the string looking one). I've used that for Lucky twice this season and it was easy to get on.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thanks again all, I've been a little preoccupied lately. Bobby was kind enough to point out to me that it looks like Boon could be showing early signs of MBD! My new lights for the year came in the other day including a megaray which I didn't have his first few months before going into hibernation. Before I only had 48'' reptisun 5.0.. Now I have a 5.0 as well as a 10.0 and a megaray for his basking light. These coupled with some higher calcium in his diet will hopefully nip it in the bud. Thanks again Bobby for keeping me on the right track, most breeders sell it and forget it!

As for the torts, I got them as hatchings and picked the biggest as well as the runt out of all the babies. They seem to be growing in proportion, the runt just doesn't want to catch up! It looks like they're both females so nothing more than company for one another :)

If I wasn't so strapped for cash I'd try that iguana leash, thanks for the tip. Boon seems to be pretty content staying up on the tables/logs I perch him on to get his sun, especially with all the gargantuan chickens and pesky cats walking around..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980