• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Urgent please help!

Graz

5 Year Member
hey ive just taken my 4 foot b&w tegu out of his tank and have given him his daily bath, he **** in the bath which is very usual for him but hes prolapsed! ive cleaned up his mess nd hes in the bath now soaking to see if it will help, anyone with any advice asap would be greatly appriciated!

6m91y

Graz

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://twitpic.com/6m91y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://twitpic.com/6m91y</a><!-- m -->

i0r

5 Year Member
Man I hope that never happen to me. Only thing i can say is. Take him to the vet ASAP before he gets any further complications.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
It may go back in on its own, if not can you get him in before saturday, if the tissue gets damaged before then , then its fatal, it cant be fixed. You need to get him in asap. Until you get him there you need to keep the tissue clean and moist, you cant let it dry out, dont let him rest it on substrate, or anything that can damage it. This happened to my tegu once, the vet put it back in and stitched it up a little, just enough to keep it in.

Graz

5 Year Member
after seeing so i placed him in a tub, cleaned the bath and placed him back in the bath with some warm water to keep the prolapse moist.
30 minutes later no progress and under the advice of a friend i wet the prolapse with cold water and massaged the surrounding area to try and aid him to retract and no progress.

i have him currently in a 50 ltr rub on a wet towel in his viv with his temps running at 85 so its not to hot or to cold. i am keeping the tissue moist and have applied some vasaline to it which has appeared to help a little.

i will be at the vets at 9am on saturday, ive located the best reptile vet in my area, and will pay whatever it takes to get him sorted. all the vet can really do is put a stitch in to try and attempt o hold the prolapse in and let it heal on its own. does anyone know anything which could have caused this?or is it just a freak incidant?

i am documenting the problem.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
vasaline is good.. bathe him in sugar water.. one teaspoon of sugar to 3 onces of water.
This is usually caused from strain due to constipation, parasitic infestation, intestinal infection, inappropriate husbandry, nerve damage, spinal damage affecting the cloacal nerves.

Graz

5 Year Member
an update. being kept moist has induced tetris into his shed which i have noticed he hasnt done in a few weeks it appears his shed skin is thicker than usual for some reason, but it is not two layers. i have removed the skin around the vent and the prolapse appears to be looser. Hopefully this could possibly be what was causing the problem. FINGERS CROSSED!

Graz

5 Year Member
dragonqueen4 said:
vasaline is good.. bathe him in sugar water.. one teaspoon of sugar to 3 onces of water.
This is usually caused from strain due to constipation, parasitic infestation, intestinal infection, inappropriate husbandry, nerve damage, spinal damage affecting the cloacal nerves.

i am going to use sugarwater in the morning, after reading around ive found that prolapse in teiids is not as uncommon as i originally thought!

he has not been constipated what so ever! around 40% of his diet is fruit and he never fails to go every 2 days if not every day.
i have noticed no change in his behavior recently what so ever and his husbandry is fine.

Graz

5 Year Member
Thankyou all for your support!

I bathed tetris this moring noticing the prolapse had retracted about 2/3's in he night after strayin him down every 30 minutes throughout.

once more he decided to **** in the bath and surely enough the prolapse retracted! I will be keepin him the 50 litre rub with wet towel throughout today just to be sure and then will introduce him back into his vivarium.

Thank you all for your help!

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
Excellent, Ive seen that happen with a chameleon once, where it went back in on its own.
But that doesnt mean hes free of it yet ... watch him closely.. my tegus prolapse went back in on its own too, and then came back out again. Hold off on feeding him for a day and then feed him foods that are easy to digest. Hopefully it stays in!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kid3zoo