• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

UV through the window screens

Tails

5 Year Member
I've been wondering about the UV coming through the screen parts in windows. I haven't had my tegu outside yet, but when I'm hanging out with him in the tegu room I can open the window and curtains and the sunlight comes in through just the screen and gives a good sized area to bask in. I know that the UV doesn't pass through glass or plastic, but does enough come through the screened area to have this be worthwhile? I know that taking him outside would be better, but until I get part of my fence fixed I'm worried that he'll get out into my neighbor's yard (or they'll let their dog out and it'll decide to come investigate). I have the UV in his cage, too, but I know that natural sunlight is better. I just wanted to see what the general consensus on this is. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :D

~Tails

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
UV does not pass through glass or plastic, it does pass through screen, but the screen will block part of it as well.

redtail2426

5 Year Member
Im not positive but I have read somewere a while back that a 1/2" screen blocks 15 percent of the uv so a tiny screen like that is probably blocking 50-60 percent of the uvb if I had to take an educated guess, There is an article floating around the web all about this, I read up on it a while ago. Also you could get your tegu a leash and then he wont run away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus