• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

uvb- yes? no?

elmo

i have uvb on my 8month old tegu, and plan to keep her on it for life. ive talk to many people about uvb, i often hear people say that they only need uvb when they are babies, i disagree! what do u guys think?

whats the difference between uvb and uva when it comes to tegus? do they need both?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This could be a great debate, but I'm probably one of the few who believe there are ways to raise them without UVB. Unless you know what you are doing, you are better off always providing UVB.

elmo

james.w said:
This could be a great debate, but I'm probably one of the few who believe there are ways to raise them without UVB. Unless you know what you are doing, you are better off always providing UVB.

thank u james! i figured. what uva tho?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I say yes. While it may be possible to raise them w/o UV, it replicates their natural habitat and may affect mood and behavior as well.

UVB is important for the synthesis of Vit D in the skin.

UVA affects behavior associated with feeding, activity, and mating. Research says that it changes colors and other aspects related to how objects appear to lizards.

Here is a good link about UV:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/whatisuv.htm

elmo

laurarfl said:
I say yes. While it may be possible to raise them w/o UV, it replicates their natural habitat and may affect mood and behavior as well.

UVB is important for the synthesis of Vit D in the skin.

UVA affects behavior associated with feeding, activity, and mating. Research says that it changes colors and other aspects related to how objects appear to lizards.

Here is a good link about UV:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/whatisuv.htm

awesome! thank u!! i couldnt find anything on google lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980