• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Very sick tegu.

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
These people give reptile keepers a bad name :|
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rdzc2lpsjQ&yt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rdzc2lpsjQ&yt</a><!-- m -->

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Yes deff 100% MBD, makes me sick. Such a preventable disease and only the tegu is the one to suffer as those kids laugh

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is not MBD, he has a case of what is known as slipper feet, it is a genetic defect from too much inbreeding in the blues.

homer

5 Year Member
this is horrible, god i hate people that get any type of pet and completely have no idea how to take care of it, especially reptiles

homer

5 Year Member
homer said:
this is horrible, god i hate people that get any type of pet and completely have no idea how to take care of it, especially reptiles

so why cant he even take down that mouse?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
homer said:

It is not due to care, he was born like that.

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
homer said:

If thats the case maybe I was wrong, but the care still looks pretty bad. Just look how skinny it is. I don't see any lighting either, but I may be wrong.

homer

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
homer said:

the video shows the tegus living conditions, there is hardly any substrate for the the guy to bury himself in. i think its not being taking care of well. and it still cant even take down that mouse, plus a bunch of kids yellin at it while its tryin to eat probably doesnt help

crimsonrazac

5 Year Member
Bobby, Do you have any links to info on "slipper feet". I'd like to read about it and see what it is. Thanks in advance.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
yea i noticed a few different things besides just how he walks, which is why I mentioned MBD, looks like it to me. Plus the slipper feet, never heard of it but Bobby knows what hes talkin about when it comes to tegus.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
homer said:
homer said:

so why cant he even take down that mouse?

Well, he has had a hard time from the time he hatched, he was not normal from day one. MBD does not look like this, he is long where MBD tegus are short coupled. His toes dont bend to grip the ground, and his feet are turned in. This has been a flaw in the blues that was tried to be kept hidden by a few breeders, and I can see this is one that was not killed after hatching like the rest have been. It is just another classic sign of inbreeding and flaws these animals are well known for showing.

This animal is not showing classic signs of MBD, and there are no links, this is something that has been hidden pretty well in the retile trade and one of the main reasons I don't breed blues. These traits are showing because of the excessive inbreeding.

This is something I posted long ago about this:
The Blue tegus that are available in the pet trade are not animals that I desire as a breeder, or promote as pets. They are very inbred, due to the very small gene pool that was first imported into the United States. The original animals were said to be a very small number of six hatchlings. These were imported as Tupinambis teguixin, but were found by the importer to be unlike the normal Tupinambis teguixin they were received before. This makes these animals very prone to undesirable traits, thus the albinism, toes that do not bend, over bites and under bites, also blindness has been found to be very present in these animals. For a few years now there has been very light colored albino blue tegus sold as snow tegus. The snows do not exist in this species, but rather a very light albino. There has never been any Melanistic tegus to produce this morph, it has been found when breeding these false snows that they produce albinos, rather then snows. There have never been any other Blue tegus imported into the United States except these very few; this is something to keep in mind when choosing your animal.

homer

5 Year Member
i never said he had MBD just for the record. i just think its habitat is poor, and his condition seems poor other than the genetic defect

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The information was posted a long time ago on another website about this trait in the blue tegus, but it was deleted by the owner of that site. :roll:

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Lol figures, and I found some more videos on youtube with tegus that have the inward feet and walk real funny, guess I always thought this was yet another sign of MBD. Guess I was wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980