• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Veterinarian accused of putting son, 4, in dog crate

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07345/840829-100.stm">http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07345/840829-100.stm</a><!-- m -->

Veterinarian accused of putting son, 4, in dog crate
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
The Associated Press
BOARDMAN, Ohio -- A veterinarian is accused of putting his 4-year-old son in a dog crate for two hours as punishment last month.

Police in this Youngstown suburb arrested Joseph J. Mullarkey Jr., 39, yesterday as he returned from lunch to work at a pet clinic. He is charged with felony child endangering.

He appeared today in Mahoning County Court, where he said he was unable to afford an attorney. The judge said an attorney would be appointed to represent him.

Sgt. Chuck Hillman said Mr. Mullarkey's wife went to the police station Friday to report what happened. The plastic crate is about 2 feet high and 3 feet long, with a metal front gate, he said.

Chief Patrick Berarducci said the woman was away from home when she got a text message from her husband saying that he had put their son in "jail." The woman told police that the boy was covered in dog hair and what was believed to be his own urine, Sgt. Hillman said.

The family has dogs.

Sgt. Hillman said that the woman indicated she didn't report what happened sooner because she was afraid. Police weren't sure what misbehavior might have prompted the discipline, Sgt. Hillman said.

When police talked to the boy, he referred to the same dog crate that his mother had, the chief said. The boy wasn't injured, and police have not said why the boy was put in the crate.

Bond was set at $8,000 for Mr. Mullarkey, who could not be reached for comment.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
To me, I believe it could have just been playing around.

If the boy was in there for hours, then the boy would have signs of weakness, or struggling marks, bruises, etc. But the article said he was fine...

"The woman told the police that the boy was covered in dog hair and covered in what she believed the boys urine"

What? Does she know the difference between human and dog pee? You gotta be kidding me.

Obviously theres hair in the crate, DOGS SLEEP IN IT DUH!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I used to get in my dog's crate and get myself locked in with the sole purpose of trying to escape!! Being 4 years I would think the boy was curious to some extent of getting in there. Who knows....

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
A bit over 30 years ago, when I was that around that age, I could be a rebellious little brat (like most kids I suspect). My father was never the type to yell and scream. It was not uncommon for my father to explain what I had done wrong, administer a spanking, tell me to sit in the corner or take a belt to my tail (for a few quick raps, not a severe beating).

Friends told of similar discipline, including such horrors as "no dessert" , "sit in the closet for an hour" and a smack across the face for backtalk. Today, these parents (of largely successful children) would be called abusive, sadistic monsters.

On the other hand, 4 year olds barely understand the world around them, and two hours in a cage sounds excessive. The fact that the mother called the police leads one to believe that there was a history. (yes, a fishy history)

On yet another hand, we're only talking about temporary housing. I commonly place my animals in small tank while cleaning their permanent (generally spacious) homes. Four foot tegu living in a four foot tank, now that's a crime. For all we know, this boy had a huge, beautiful enclosure with ample hides, climbs and basking spots.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nyarlathotep said:
A bit over 30 years ago, when I was that around that age, I could be a rebellious little brat (like most kids I suspect). My father was never the type to yell and scream. It was not uncommon for my father to explain what I had done wrong, administer a spanking, tell me to sit in the corner or take a belt to my tail (for a few quick raps, not a severe beating).

Friends told of similar discipline, including such horrors as "no dessert" , "sit in the closet for an hour" and a smack across the face for backtalk. Today, these parents (of largely successful children) would be called abusive, sadistic monsters.

On the other hand, 4 year olds barely understand the world around them, and two hours in a cage sounds excessive. The fact that the mother called the police leads one to believe that there was a history. (yes, a fishy history)

On yet another hand, we're only talking about temporary housing. I commonly place my animals in small tank while cleaning their permanent (generally spacious) homes. Four foot tegu living in a four foot tank, now that's a crime. For all we know, this boy had a huge, beautiful enclosure with ample hides, climbs and basking spots.

My mother was the same way, however, I do not think it was child abuse at all. I was never traumatized by her discipline, nor did it scar me for life. I was taught to respect other children as well as adults. This is one thing I think the children are lacking for the most part.

In my time, we did not have the disrespect and violence seen in most children today. We did not have ten year olds running the home, school killings and just plain disrespect that most children/ teens show today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980