• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Waking up from summer hibernation?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would guess it would be about the same amount of time as the winter hibernaters do. 5-7ish months after going down. Has she been down the entire time or does she wake up now and then?

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hers has been hibernating all summer or most of it. It's on a southern hemisphere schedule.

kellen.watkins

You never know maybe she will wake up with a different attitude, and don't feel bad I can't handle either of mine they both hate me... well the extreme giant I think hates me the bluexred I think is just scared of me

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^ Thats true, she could have been moody because she was getting ready to hibernate.

Bedlam

Sorry but the forum wont allow me to post a new thread.

Hibernation:
Kush, my 2011 extreme giant has progressively been eating less and becoming less active through out the day. I'm assuming this is due to Hibernation so I was wondering if I could get some feed back for clarification. My thoughts are...

Is this a normal time for him to start going under? I'm USA located.
Should I stop feeding? I heard feeding too close to hibernation may cause food to rot in the innards of the Tegu and result in his death.
Will he come out at all during hibernation? If so should I try and feed and handle?
What are signs of the hibernation period ending?

new2tegus

Jekyll has been too,yesterday he only ate 1 fuzzie, instead of 3. He went down shortly after eating and hasn't been out to do much of anything, and didn't seem hungry either. The whole cage is back to mulch, I guess just in time,because he's burrowed in. He didn't come out at all today, so I'm guessing this is the time.

jdpFL

New 2 tegus....we thought the same thing, ours didn't come out for a couple of days, then all of a sudden was back up daily. Maybe just slowing down some, but not ready to hibernate? Best thing to do is keep all conditions the same, lights, heat, etc. for a couple weeks even if they don't come out. That way if they come out to bask and digest, the temps will be right. From what I've read....the way you get in trouble is by turning everything off, they come out to digest and warm up, and no heat! That's how you can have the food rot in the stomach and turn hibernation into a permanent nap. This is our first time with hibernation, so just trying to read all I can! That, and let the tegu show us what to do, I assume he knows. Lol.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jdpFL said:
New 2 tegus....we thought the same thing, ours didn't come out for a couple of days, then all of a sudden was back up daily. Maybe just slowing down some, but not ready to hibernate? Best thing to do is keep all conditions the same, lights, heat, etc. for a couple weeks even if they don't come out. That way if they come out to bask and digest, the temps will be right. From what I've read....the way you get in trouble is by turning everything off, they come out to digest and warm up, and no heat! That's how you can have the food rot in the stomach and turn hibernation into a permanent nap. This is our first time with hibernation, so just trying to read all I can! That, and let the tegu show us what to do, I assume he knows. Lol.

+1

new2tegus

Today, was back up, roaming around, didn't seem like he was really hungry,but ate 2 fuzzies, and basked and now went back down lol. I'm keeping all the lights on and everything the same, lights and everything is on a timer,so I tried to match the amount of sunlight he'd get in argentina.

Jude

I know this is over a month old now.. Just wanted to add my bit! It's also my first post on here I think so please bear with me :) anyhoo...

My teg is also on southern hemisphere timing.. I got him/her in March and about 6 weeks later it was evident I was not going to be able to stop him hibernating! He was growing well and getting pretty used to me.. Climbing out onto my hand and eating well in his feeding bin. He's still sleeping soundly now so Little Wise Owl I can empathise! I check on him sneakily to make sure he's ok and he seems fine - doesn't look like he's lost any weight or condition and is breathing steadily etc.

So... Anyone reckon he's gonna wake up soon? Should I turn his heat up gradually from now or wait til he starts surfacing first? His name is Pequeno by the way and he is a stunner bless him!

Thanks for reading my waffle :)

Riplee

5 Year Member
it will wake up whenever you adjust the temp to the regular and turn the light on.

As my tegus, I control the temp to let them hibernation and wake them up whenever I think they should wake up.
Usually about 3-6 months,

Jude

Thank you for that.. I did try turning the heat up a while ago but he slept through it! I'll try again now.. From tomorrow I'll start picking up the temps and lighting times and see if he surfaces this time! Thanks again Riplee

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980