• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

watch-out/zoo-med power suns!! urgent!!!!

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
I had bought a 160 watt zoo-med power sun (mvb) and was using it for around 3 months maybe when i started to notice a strange twitch from my tegu. This was odd to me due to the fact my tegu was growing very fast, had/has a huge appitite, and very active and alert. I tested the bulb and the uvb output was next to nothing. So maybe a returned bulb that was boxed and resold or a bad factory bulb. One things for sure, from now on i will always test a new bulb the day of purchuse.... How long will it take me to get uvb back into my tegu and stop these strange twitchs?....And should i go heavy on the zoo-med calcium/WITHOUT-D3 on its food?... I have read on here that i should feed an extra mouse a week until tegu improves?..I have never had a reptile of any kind with this strange uvb lacking twitch...HELP ME OUT GUYS/GALS!!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I would use calcium WITH D3 for a while, that way you are sure he is absorbing it!

That really sucks about the Powersun. Did you call them up and tell them about it?

How do you measure UVB output?

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Yes i told them but they didnt help any, It was a light i got at petsmart/ i know i know/, but its about 15 minutes closer then the reptile store. Would this also cause runny green stools? How long to reverse the effects of this?

alewis0890

5 Year Member
from what it sounds your isn't that bad, id put him under a good reputable uvb bulb such as the reptisun 10.0 tube not coil or t-Rex active heat or megaray... Personally i have had great results with the reptisun 10.0. It took 3 months and some calcium injections before my rescued dragon started reversing, so I wouldn't change anything your doing up except use calcium dust once a day 6 days a week and multivits on the 7th one feeding, and get some good rays in there with him, he will come around fairly quick it doesn't seem like your tegu is doing that bad at all and you caught early staging... good luck to you.

LouDog760

5 Year Member
Dude you live in San Diego! Get your tegu on a leash and go outside and sun bask with s/he for a few hours a day. Its good for you and your tegu lol. The sun is better than any bulb out there. What I would do is get a long chair and lay down with him on my stomach unless s/he wants to lay on like the side walk or something, I don't know try it out!

Redlizard

5 Year Member
Maybe someone bought a bulb and put there old one in the box to return it. Ive herd of that happening years ago.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
well you asked how to reverse the effects of possible MBD, and MBD effects that have been done cant be reversed, but if its only twitching id think thats only the beginning signs of it, but its not reversable but you can make it better from that point on, whats done is done. But from how it sounds its not that bad and Ive seen the pics of your guu and he is growing very fast. But anyways, get him outside to absorb some natural sunlight, no matter how good the bulbs we make today are nothing is better than some good ole sunlight.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. The twitch just started maybe a week or so, once i noticed it and observed it being a reaccuring twitch i got things taken care of fast. Im sure like you said to, that i cought it super early so no deformaties or health issues should arise over this breif 3 month session of bad/none uvb ''i hope''. Its real strange how nothing changed in appitite,behavior,awarness. Just ''BAM'' one morning hes twitching. Today was the 2nd day with the new uv balb and to be honest the twitch is not gone but has really almost stopped. I will bet by thursday he/she will be in tip top shape.. OH... One more thing i thought of two was the fact that my 5.0 flourecsent was in the enclosure and that was working fine. It just wasn't enought to carry the load.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
yea i just finished my 8x4 and ive also got a flourescent, but its a 10.0...also ive got a 160w and 100w reptisun 10.0's in there. But seriously if you have good weather in san diego which i cant imagine you dont, take him outside for a bit his twitching WILL stop ive read of many people having the twitch and it going away with one session of real sunlight. Either way he/she should stop soon with another good uvb bulb in there. Good luck

Tux

5 Year Member
Dr. Mader mentioned a test done that showed D3 did not absorb through the GI so as we have been saying don't waste your time on that. Also calcium supplements abilities to digest are also suspect, just give your tegu good high calcium food. Get it out in the sun and it will be all good. I use megarays and test the bulbs often, I suggest a monthly test.

John_E_Dove

5 Year Member
BOOZER said:

please answer!
There are a lot of UV meters out there being sold but IMO the Solarmeter 6.2 is what you want for testing reptile lighting UVB output.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.solarmeter.com/model62.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.solarmeter.com/model62.html</a><!-- m -->

Tux

5 Year Member
I agree with John though I don't see many other UVB meters on the market from any reputable supplier.

mr.tegu

5 Year Member
The cost of these are very high. I personally dont own one, but LLLreptile let me barrow one from the shop. SUPER GOOD STORE.

BOOZER

5 Year Member
John_E_Dove said:
BOOZER said:

please answer!
There are a lot of UV meters out there being sold but IMO the Solarmeter 6.2 is what you want for testing reptile lighting UVB output.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.solarmeter.com/model62.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.solarmeter.com/model62.html</a><!-- m -->
thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029