• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

water dragons.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
i might be getting a water dragon soon. i was planing on building a 2'x2'x6' tall cage for it. will this be too small for an adult? i might be able to make it 3'x3'x6'tall but i dont know. how long does it take for the dragon to reach its full size?

also what would be the best for a first dragon that i want to be able to handle? aussie or asian? male or female?

will they have some CBB ones at the Hamburg PA reptile show? i want to get one from a breeder.

thanks!

~ZEKE~

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've read some water dragons get to be 10 feet long!! Do you research carefully!

Have you been to the Hamburg show? We went last August. It has great but hot. I'm sure you'd find some dragons there. You might want to wait until the spring when the new hatchlings come out.

Swtbrat

5 Year Member
We just got a Pet Smart in our area and they have water dragon babies.I was sooo tempted but I had made a resolution for 2008 to not buy any reptiles and I actually made it to Jan 8th 2008 before I did buy anything.
woo.gif

I bought 3 more crested geckos.

Brat!

ZEKE

5 Year Member
lol wow your resolution lasted 8 days!! thats a record lol.

no i have never been to the Hamburg show. i was told it is the biggest and best one on the east coast. our petsmart has some young ones too but i would prefer to buy from a breeder.

does anyone here have any eggs or know of anyone with some water dragon eggs that will be hatching in or around February? i really want to get a CBB dragon.

EDIT: the kind of water dragon i am getting does not get 10 feet long lol. they get 3' and are mostly tail. here is a pic of what im looking at getting. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fish-n-petsunl.com/smallanimals/images/waterdragon2.jpg">http://www.fish-n-petsunl.com/smallanim ... ragon2.jpg</a><!-- m -->

dicy

5 Year Member
asian ore aussie waterdragons both get verry handeble the asians get around 70cm and asians get around 90 cm but i saw sum that where bigger so textbook things arent always rigth so if u keep that in mind and know they r quit jumpy acktive reptiles u can build ur tank also keep in mind why they r called water dragons they need a huge waterbowl that is minimal as deep as the shoulders so they can submerge also it needs to be filterd and heated they also love climbing and yes they need uv so a fairly cheap litle waterdragon needs a setup that costs sum dollars but if u can spare that ul have sum super nice animals that u whil not regret of buying :D

ZEKE

5 Year Member
ok thanks for the info. they really need a heater in the water? all the pics of cages i have seen didnt have a heater.

what kind gets bigger? you said "the asians get around 70cm and asians get around 90 cm"

do you think a 3'x3'x6' cage will work?

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
I would much rather get an aussie. i'm pretty sure 3x6x3 would be fine. although many people keep reptiles successfully, we try to give them the absolute perfect conditions possible. I love the heated pool idea Dice.

Joey

5 Year Member
Its hard to keep humidity with water dragona cuz they require at least 70 percent humidity...For my tegu its hard to keep it at 60 because If you spray too much fungus could start developing so thats why I didnt get a water dragon well good luck with yours

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes that would be the Asian Water Monitors, the Water dragons are much smaller.

ZEKE

5 Year Member
oooh that makes sense lol. yeah i had never heard of a water dragon bigger than 3 or 4 feet.

Joey

5 Year Member
Wow those things get huge!!! I cant even imagine having a full grown one as a pet unless you give it like your garage or like master bedroom. It must cost a lot to maintain them.

dicy

5 Year Member
zeke the reason u need to keep the water heated is because the can cool down to fast if not and they whill drown iv seen it happen before :( and the 80% humidety isnt that dificult to create cuz if the water is heated and u put a big spot ligth above the water it raises humidety plus the whole viv dont need to be 80% they need dry areas to so the mist spray once till twice a day is ennuf plus they have dry and wet seasons to (a simple breeding techniq)

ZEKE

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=22&de=566686">http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=22&de=566686</a><!-- m -->

do you think this cage would work for a water dragon? or would it not keep in enough humidity?

i would not be building one that big but if i get the plans for it i could just make it to the size i want i think. it seems like a good idea but would it hold the humidity?

snakehandler

5 Year Member
i have kept a water monitor for years in a spare room. it had only central heating and i put in a bathtub with no extra heating.
plus i installed a halogen lamp they use in building sites.
the monitor used to sit at the window watching the street.
i kepr him without any problems on rats only.
but they get big and have sharp theeth with which they can tear your flesh apart. i used to feed him rats only. maybe one rat or two every week. make sure he has enough space, theyre active animals.

playlboi

5 Year Member
i wish i had a spare room to keep anything! i'd get me a giant tegu. lol. i'm just stuck with my room for now

ZEKE

5 Year Member
snakehandler said:
i have kept a water monitor for years in a spare room. it had only central heating and i put in a bathtub with no extra heating.
but they get big and have sharp theeth with which they can tear your flesh apart. i used to feed him rats only. maybe one rat or two every week. make sure he has enough space, theyre active animals.

im not getting a water monitor. im getting a water dragon. they only get about 3 feet and look more like a green iguana when they are an adult. here is a pic of one.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mocha.therainiervalley.com/LloydLizard02.JPG">http://mocha.therainiervalley.com/LloydLizard02.JPG</a><!-- m -->

snakehandler

5 Year Member
ZEKE said:
snakehandler said:

im not getting a water monitor. im getting a water dragon. they only get about 3 feet and look more like a green iguana when they are an adult. here is a pic of one.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mocha.therainiervalley.com/LloydLizard02.JPG">http://mocha.therainiervalley.com/LloydLizard02.JPG</a><!-- m -->

yeah oke..i wasnt sure since i am not a native english speaker.
theyre pretty animals.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me