• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Water Monitor Care (V. Salvator)

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
I would appreciate input from experienced keepers the most appropriate method to provide (sizable) fresh water requirements for water monitors? Ideally you want something large enough for the monitor to fit its entire body in right?
So how do most people achieve this with a full grown monitor?
Is filtration practical or should something be fitted into your plumbing?
I was thinking of running a tub with faucets and drainage in the enclosure, or maybe a horse trough with faucets and drainage as well.
Has anyone used these methods?
Is there a better way?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
An adequate filtration system would be very expensive. The easiest way would be a large tub with a drain. I tried a 3*3*3 acrylic tank with a sump and it couldn't keep the tank clean. There is a guy on another forum (can't think of which one) who is using a filter setup on a large pool for two waters. He is struggling with it last I heard.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
you could try to use a natural filtering system. with layers of gravel and pure sand and some moss i guess too along with some other types of sand/rock(been a while since my geology class). its what the earth does to filter water. im not really sure how you would use it. one could probably get a larger water container and have the bottom part of the container filled with those layers. then when you drain the water and fill it the water will be somewhat filtered. thats just a few second idea though im sure if you sit down and think you could do something that works a lot better. hope this helps somewhat.

Dana C

frost said:
you could try to use a natural filtering system. with layers of gravel and pure sand and some moss i guess too along with some other types of sand/rock(been a while since my geology class). its what the earth does to filter water. im not really sure how you would use it. one could probably get a larger water container and have the bottom part of the container filled with those layers. then when you drain the water and fill it the water will be somewhat filtered. thats just a few second idea though im sure if you sit down and think you could do something that works a lot better. hope this helps somewhat.

That might be very helpful if you have a mechanism to draw water through the sand / rock filter. Having said that, I don't think that it would work if you are thinking that it would break down a mega monitor dump. Buwahahahahaha

Murkve

Dana C said:
frost said:

That might be very helpful if you have a mechanism to draw water through the sand / rock filter. Having said that, I don't think that it would work if you are thinking that it would break down a mega monitor dump. Buwahahahahaha

Are there any species of poop eating fish? :)

Or better yet, poop comes from digested food. Ergo, it follows that if there is no food, there will be no poop! Yay Science!

ilovelizards

here is my idea I have from my studying of koi pond filters that may work get a larger container have the top layer me some sort of fine mesh that can me easy remaove(most poop will collect on it)then the next layer fish filter media or sponges)then lava rocks or bio balls then sand and then have it filter back into the "pond"that should work or atleast give you an idea of what might work.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
For those of you offering ideas, do you have any idea what adult water monitor feces looks like or its size/smell. What about all the substrate that gets in the water?

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
frost said:

The problem with that is it wouldnt eleminate bacteria but thanks for the imput.

james.w said:
An adequate filtration system would be very expensive. The easiest way would be a large tub with a drain. I tried a 3*3*3 acrylic tank with a sump and it couldn't keep the tank clean. There is a guy on another forum (can't think of which one) who is using a filter setup on a large pool for two waters. He is struggling with it last I heard.

Thats about what I figured might be the case. Sounds like full draining and refill is the way to go.

ilovelizards

james.w said:
For those of you offering ideas, do you have any idea what adult water monitor feces looks like or its size/smell. What about all the substrate that gets in the water?

No but I have a fully filtered fountain that wil soon be a fully stocked pond for my tegu so I do have some idea of his problem.with my idea most of the poop and substate except for the tint pices will collect on the mesh that can then be easyly taken out and cleaned.

bacteria will be trapped in the sand that I forgot to add should be packed onto rocks on the bottom and have the return pipe were the rocks are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iGLSTZY84

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
ilovelizards said:
james.w said:

No but I have a fully filtered fountain that wil soon be a fully stocked pond for my tegu so I do have some idea of his problem.with my idea most of the poop and substate except for the tint pices will collect on the mesh that can then be easyly taken out and cleaned.

bacteria will be trapped in the sand that I forgot to add should be packed onto rocks on the bottom and have the return pipe were the rocks are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iGLSTZY84

I think james.w point was that a full grown monitors poop is quite a force to be reckoned with and even the biggest/best filters will have a challenge in making that poop go poof.

Grendel

The only way to have a large water container not resemble a port-a-potty on a summer day, is what James already said. There has to be a drain on the bottom that allows to quicky evacuate the container and then refill it with fresh water. I don't see how any filter media or mechanism can clean up after an adult water monitor, the fecal load is the same as having a 5 year old make a #2 and #1 in the bathtub every day.

yulyani

Thelegendofcharlie said:
I would appreciate input from experienced keepers the most appropriate method to provide (sizable) fresh water requirements for water monitors? Ideally you want something large enough for the monitor to fit its entire body in right?
So how do most people achieve this with a full grown monitor?
Is filtration practical or should something be fitted into your plumbing?
I was thinking of running a tub with faucets and drainage in the enclosure, or maybe a horse trough with faucets and drainage as well.
Has anyone used these methods?
Is there a better way?

may be i am not experienced reptile expert yet,... but I want to share my husbandry .....My biggest water is MJ, he is about 127 cm, still very far from maximal size. I use the plastic water pool at his indoor cage,....it is not very2 big (about 50x60 cm), but at least he can enter this container and submerged there,...I often see him sleeping in that water container. I provide the aerator to make the bubbles,...and from my observation, MJ would love to submerged below the water longer and more with this aerator....i don't know why... My keeper should change the water 2-3 times perday,...because I don't allow feces to contact too long with him. For the water monitor I don't believe filtration system,...... they eat so many, make mess too many, doing poop everyday, so filtration won't be strong enough, and the feces containts bacteria will be circulated everytime......I use Peat moss (cocopeat) for substrate,...still MJ doing poop at this substrate beside in the water,..so everyday we reduce about 1/4 of them especially the one near water pool, to avoid damp area.....

MJ is not too tame yet so I haven't released him at the big outdoor enclosures,...I am worry he is not tolerate with the handling with the big outdoor with full sunshine....I will soon move him into the bigger indoor cages in september...but for my monitor ro-Komo (dumeril about 1m length) I provide him the outdoor enclosure with the enough big pool and he loves to be there especially if the wheather is cool (the water is warmer).....but still I am not satisfied,...because this pool is not big enough for swimming...

If I am getting rich later I want to build the Lizard Pool for my lizards,....the smaller swimming pool with clean ceramics and waterfalls (hehehehehe) i saw at you tube water monitor swimming with the owners at swimming pool.....:p

Bntegus

filters do not work i have a 200 gallon pool for my waters and i have tried everything like james said a drain is the only way to go.

Thelegendofcharlie

5 Year Member
Thelegendofcharlie said:
Any water monitor owners able to potty train their monitor to... poo, in specific locations as most of us are able to do with our Tegus?

I forgot to mention outside their water containers as I know they are inclined to go there.
Any luck in getting them to go outside or something similar?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Not sure if expense is an issue, but you could contact a zoo and talk to someone in the aquatic or reptile department and see what they use for filtration. I'm sure they could help you figure something out, but it will probably be very expensive.

Dana C

Most man made pond, fish tank filtration systems employing gravel, sand etc. are meant to remove and convert the ammonia produced in urine and feces to nirates which are in turn consumed by bacteria. They are not effective on pathogenic bacteria.
James is correct in that total filtration would be a very expensive proposition. High efficiency filters are in the neighborhood of $300 not including the pump. Other filter systems start at $50 but are not meant for "living ponds" or ponds that carry a fecal load from fish, reptiles etc. To get a "living pond" filter, $350 is the starting point from what I was able to find on the net.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980