• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

We had a really bad day yesterday :(

Max713

A really bad day...

Those of you that have followed my "Kimo's life and growth" thread no Kimo and his life well. For those of you that don't, Kimo turned a year old on the 18th of August, and is right around 38" long. I've had him since January of this year. Up until about 3 weeks ago, we were doing great. Kimo had zero fear of me, he didn't necessarily enjoy interaction, but he was more than willing to engage in it. He was very active, and eating like an absolute pig!
3 weeks ago, as you may remember from a thread I started a while ago, Kimo started to become far less active. Over the course of the past 3 weeks, things seem to have gotten consistently worse, to the point that Kimo would only be out for maybe an hour a day. He would come out to bask, I would lure him out of his enclosure with food, he would hangout/explore for 30-45min, and back in his burrow he would go. Also, he seemed to be loosing trust in me again, getting apprehensive again...

Now we come to yesterday... Kimo was particularly apprehensive, I just worked with him as usual. He's large enough now that I leave his enclosure open all day, to both keep the temps down (hot summer days) and allow him to do as he pleases. He is confined to my living room though, not able to roam the entire house. Anyways, after luring him out with food and interacting for a while, I left to do a couple errands.
When I opened the door when I got home Kimo looked at me, and bolted. I mean bolted, in an explosion of power! He then wouldn't stop running, going ballistic around the living room, knocking quite large objects over, thrashing like mad, just went absolutely crazy... I finally got a hold of him, but I really had to man handle him, I mean he is over 3 feet long... :( So much so that he actually reared back, mouth open ready to bite. He has NEVER done that before. I then set him on my lap, talking calmly to him, etc.
He laid limp for about 10 minutes, panting very hard, then he ran/jogged from me again. This time I only watched him until he stopped and got a hold of him without much trouble, after some more calming down on the floor, he crawled back into his enclosure.
I feel terrible, I know I shouldn't have man handled him now, I should have let him tire himself out, he was just going so ballistic I didn't know what to do... We all make mistakes, I just wish I didn't make this one...
Today comes around, and it's obvious yesterdays event have had a significant effect on my Kimo. Upon getting home from work, Kimo spotted me and instantly got very tense. I approached his enclosure, when I reached in to pet him, he began puffing a little and doing the "snaky tail". He let me pet him, reluctantly. He refused the food I offered (hasn't refused food in months), and went straight for his burrow...

Needless to say, I'm pretty beat up about this... I really care about Kimo, I've really bonded with him over these past 7 months, and it just hurts me for him to be like this.
I just don't really know what I should do. Is this just Tegu puberty? I feel like I ruined all trust with him... because I probably did! Should I just leave him alone completely for a while, should I just start taming/trust building all over again? Should I continue what I'm doing, without any forcing, just encouraging? I just want a Tegu that craves my attention, like they are all too famous for, or one that at least completely tolerates it. Is there any hope for me and Kimo?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I just take it day by day with mine. I don't do much interaction, but I will take him out a couple times a week and let him roam the backyard. He has had his weird days where he has charged open mouth at me and than days where he just lays there and lets me do whatever I want. I had to manhandle mine a couple times, once he saw himself in the mirror and went crazy and the other time my wifes dog got close to him and he ran and hid under the couch. I don't feel like either time was a setback, but more of a learning experience for both of us. Just have patience and I'm sure it will turn out the way you want. The tegus you see that seem to crave attention are generally a bit older.

Max713

Thank you for the input James, its re-assuring.
I wouldn't ever give up on him, I'm just very discouraged :(

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I guess since you only have the one reptile its a bit different than my situation. Just know a tame reptile isn't something that happens overnight.

Max713

Ya, I imagine having 1 "project" vs 5 is a bit different, I'm 100% looking for a companion. Not to say you aren't, but I think you know what I mean. I was aware coming into this it wouldn't happen over night, obviously I wasn't one to post a "Why is my Tegu always sleeping" threads after having him for 2 weeks... but I did think we would be at a better place after 7 months together. I'm hoping for the best! At least he's healthy.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think maybe he was just having a bad day so to speak. Some people have talked about experiencing the "terrible ones" with their Tegus.

Max713

Dirtydmc said:
I imagine that could be a little terrifying. Specialy a full grown 5' lizard.

I don't understand what you mean?

He is not 5' long, and it was not terrifying, or frightening in any way. I was far more worried with his safety than mine, I'd take a bite from him any day, full grown or not, if it was for his safety.

Or do you mean it would be terrifying if something like this happened when he is fully grown?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like you might have just spooked him when you opened the door after coming home. He could have been dozing off which would make him that much more susceptible to being startled. Once they get in that all out flight mode they'll spaz out like until they find a "safe" spot where they feel more secure(e.g. under a couch). Basically instincts took over and he was fleeing for his life from a predator and when you grabbed ahold of him he instinctively went on the offensive. More than likely once he's settled down for a day or two you won't notice much change in his behavior. With age and experience he'll become less and less easily spooked and a much more predictable tegu. He's also right around that puberty(terrible ones) age so if you could find a video to show him explaining his changing lizard body it might help him to better cope with these things. :D

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lol good one john, I too have had my moments with both my tegus, pretty much all of the 6 I have owned(except gozar) you just have to keep working with them and being patient, I'm sure its probably just stress from their bodies changing(puberty) and like john said instincts kicking in, just keep working with him I'm sure he will cme around

herpgirl2510

I am going through the same thing with my extreme who is similar in age. He charged my 8 year old and bit his foot. When I went to pick him up he flipped a nutty. I had to manhandle him also to get back in his enclosure ut a few hours later he was sitting on my lap seemed like a different tegu. The night before he bit my husband also. I am thinking maybe your tegu is going through the terrible one's like Chevy is. I can understand how you feel it is upsetting especially when they are quite large. I et he will be back to normal soon maybe he is testing the limits. I was set to rehome ecause he really bit my son but I am going to ride it out a bit hopefully next time it is me he bites.

Max713

Thank you for all the input everyone, it is reassuring, I'm just really concerned... From what I can gather, the terrible ones are in full swing, and I just need to push through them... Thanks again everyone, any further input is appreciated!

JohnMatthew said:
Sounds like you might have just spooked him when you opened the door after coming home. He could have been dozing off which would make him that much more susceptible to being startled. Once they get in that all out flight mode they'll spaz out like until they find a "safe" spot where they feel more secure(e.g. under a couch). Basically instincts took over and he was fleeing for his life from a predator and when you grabbed ahold of him he instinctively went on the offensive. More than likely once he's settled down for a day or two you won't notice much change in his behavior. With age and experience he'll become less and less easily spooked and a much more predictable tegu. He's also right around that puberty(terrible ones) age so if you could find a video to show him explaining his changing lizard body it might help him to better cope with these things. :D

This made me smile haha. Thank you for this, and I hope you're right.

new2tegus

I would say just give it time, and James is right as are many others here. I can do a short story for you. I started off the cage with all mulch, fed him in his cage, and things were great on ground turkey and liver and what not. I tried to do the whole out of cage feeding,but I ended up having to chase him around the cage, and after him refusing the food in the tub, and seeing how stressed he was, I felt horrible about doing that to him each time, so I stopped. I tried giving him mealworms, dubias roaches, and crickets, you know what they all have in common, the pita's can burrow, and do lol, right into the mulch. I know i fed him way to many crickets the one day, felt bad, it was like watching someone watching a tennis match, so I know that stressed him out. So I pulled all the mulch out, moved him for that, and put carpet, and after the advice of many on here compromised and made 3/4 of the enclosure mulch, and the rest carpet to feed on. So far things have been perfect,but it wasn't until about 3 weeks ago he started to actually trust me enough to come over to me. After the times of chasing him around, he'd bolt for cover, and I felt like crap, I love the little guy. You will build the trust back, now I try and try again to pick him up,and I have to break myself of trying to do an overhand grab,but he sees the shadow or the hand and bolts,but five minutes later he's back in my hand or arm, so he's giving ME the chance to correct what I do. Don't worry you will be fine, just give him his room,and take out the large heavy objects in your living room that are high that he could knock over.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
JohnMatthew said:

can you send me a copy of this video John??

Max713

Well, kimos attitude hasn't improved yet. He didn't come out of his burrow yesterday and hasn't yet today, and he hasn't eaten much... Looks like we're starting over :(

tora

He might just be preparing for hibernation. I've had to manhandle my female before, because sometimes she does what Kimo did. She just gets so freaked out she charges into walls and whatnot. I normally try and herd her into the bathroom where she calms down, but sometimes I have to grab her or she'll hurt herself. He'll be okay, he just needs some time to settle.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Aesop pulled the same thing on a friend of mine a couple months back (he's the same age as Kimo) and bit the hell out of his thumb, and inevitably dropping a good 12-14 inches of tail. I let him have his space for about 3 weeks, only going in the cage to feed him or spot clean / change water and didn't have any problems. I've started taking him out a couple times a week and he's been fine. I'll tell you what, though...I'm WAAAAY more hesitant to have him climbing over me nowadays!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029